Lights to Gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have a 1987 R10 with oil, battery and temperature light but I want to change it to actual gauges how hard would that be. If anyone has done it tips and comment much appreciated

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You could go out to a salvage yard or CL and get a instrument cluster w/ gauges. I've removed and replaced several instrument clusters, they are fairly simple straightforward to do. (I have a complete '86 manual-trans cluster for sale for $30 in Houston) Then replace the oil and temp switches w/ senders. All in all a fairly cost effective and reasonably easy to do upgrade. If you or one of your buddies are handy w/ a multimeter and reading schematics you can avoid any potholes get er done, no sweat.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you get the cluster from a similar year it should be an easy swap. For example, I was able to use a '74 cluster in my '75 because they both had an ammeter with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. In later years they switched to electric oil pressure and a voltmeter gauge.

Based on the info from the LMC truck catalog there are only circuit boards for three different clusters from 81-87 - 1) No gauges, 2) gauges but no tach, 3) gauges with tach. I assume that means you just need to find an 81-87 cluster with gauges and swap it into your truck.

All the wiring except the tach is part of a single large plug on the back of the gauge, so its very easy to do the swap. On the engine side you will have to replace the oil pressure and temp sending units with the correct ones for a truck with gauges.

Bruce

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks did not realize i had gotten any responses. I'm probably gonna start with grab stuff from wrench a part. Then later replace things or get new ones I like to customize it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks did not realize i had gotten any responses. I'm probably gonna start with grab stuff from wrench a part. Then later replace things or get new ones I like to customize it.

The process is a bit more involved than just installing a gauge style cluster (and the associated senders in the engine room). The harness plug doesn't pinout the same for a gauge/non gauge cluster. Look at the images below and you will see what I mean:

You must be registered for see images attach

But that doesn't mean it can't be done - you'll just have to switch a few leads around. So that the harness plug pins look like the one shown in the lower image.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The process is a bit more involved than just installing a gauge style cluster (and the associated senders in the engine room). The harness plug doesn't pinout the same for a gauge/non gauge cluster. Look at the images below and you will see what I mean:

But that doesn't mean it can't be done - you'll just have to switch a few leads around. So that the harness plug pins look like the one shown in the lower image.
yea i wasnt going to just grab the gauge cluster. i was gonna grab it all.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
yea i wasnt going to just grab the gauge cluster. i was gonna grab it all.

The whole IP harness? Good for you Buddy! Nice to see someone who actually does the job right.

Anyway, in that case: if you do take the time to surgically remove a gauge configured harness, transferring it to your truck would be ***. And as an added bonus, everything would work/read out as designed.

305 (L03) with TBI right? Below are the cheat sheets for removal.

Cab side:

Engine side:

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The whole IP harness? Good for you Buddy! Nice to see someone who actually does the job right.

Anyway, in that case: if you do take the time to surgically remove a gauge configured harness, transferring it to your truck would be ***. And as an added bonus, everything would work/read out as designed.

305 (L03) with TBI right? Below are the cheat sheets for removal.

Cab side:

Engine side:

thank you for that sir. yea id rather have everything i needed to do it right then just bits and pieces. and yea its 305 tbi.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Im also gonna add ac to it because it doesnt have air so gonna be removing alot of stuff and adding. gotta have that air for tx summers

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Is your truck an A/C truck where its all been removed, or was there never any A/C parts at all?

Converting non-A/C to A/C with stock components is quite involved. There is a plenum for the evaporator under the hood, and I'm not even sure that you have the right holes in the firewall to mount it on a non-A/C truck. GM also changed compressors, hoses and mounting brackets a little bit over the years, and it gets complicated if you start to mix and match junkyard parts from different years. If you need a complete conversion/addition, you may want to look at one of the Vintage Air kits. They are expensive, but do have everything you need.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969