LED rope lights under the hood; problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 C20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
scuddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 sb
So I'm sitting here daydreaming about scraping grime and dirt off of parts and pieces. In my mind, I'm on a creeper under the engine spraying cleaner on things but it's dark. So I use a shop light but it's hot and I worry about setting a fire while under the truck. Now I'm poking around in the engine bay but it's overcast and hard to see things because there's little ambient light. Magnetic lights are ok but they aren't always in a good spot. Flashlights are good but they require a paw or mouth to hold on target and sometimes I need that paw or mouth to hold tools or spark plugs or similar things. What to do, what to do.....then it hit me. What about attaching something like LED rope lights under the hood to illuminate the entire bay. Put enough LED's up and you get a huge light source so the shadows won't be harsh and lots will be lit. And if they work there why not in the channel of the frame to light up things under the truck. No flashlights to hold or roll over.

I have an active imagination.

This led me to wonder why this isn't a "thing"; would melting be a problem? it's not like they pull a large amount of juice or weigh a lot. Anyone want to put their 2 cents in?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I stuck a couple of the COB led strips right at the front of the hood. Right about the inside edge of the radiator support. Just two of them were certainly bright enough to check basic things and being high enough to not have a glaring light in your face. Put a switch right next to my underhood fuse box that was super easy to reach. Got a pack of em off ebay, but here's a link for a different seller with the same product.

https://www.12vmonster.com/products...tube-solar-12-volt-or-24-volt-full-waterproof
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
It is indeed, a thing as you have found lol.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have blue led strip lights under my hood on both sides, up against the firewall under the fan shroud....along the sides by the saddle tanks and even a strip between the tailgate and the rollpan...its more for show obviously than anything else when the truck is parked at night for display.

leds obviousl draw very little power AND dont give off the heat of normal incandescents. I have never had any problems with tyem other than all of the attention they bring to the chrome under the hood.

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I have blue led strip lights under my hood on both sides, up against the firewall under the fan shroud....along the sides by the saddle tanks and even a strip between the tailgate and the rollpan...its more for show obviously than anything else when the truck is parked at night for display.

leds obviousl draw very little power AND dont give off the heat of normal incandescents. I have never had any problems with tyem other than all of the attention they bring to the chrome under the hood.

We Like Pictures!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I stuck a couple of the COB led strips right at the front of the hood. Right about the inside edge of the radiator support. Just two of them were certainly bright enough to check basic things and being high enough to not have a glaring light in your face. Put a switch right next to my underhood fuse box that was super easy to reach. Got a pack of em off ebay, but here's a link for a different seller with the same product.

https://www.12vmonster.com/products...tube-solar-12-volt-or-24-volt-full-waterproof
Im really liking your idea and i like how theyre cheap! Good advise

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Im really liking your idea and i like how theyre cheap! Good advise
I'll see if I have a photo of em from way back.

Two was pretty good, four would be a ton better. Also think i'll put some at the very back of the hood to help eliminate shadows in the engine bay.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
@78c10bigten

dug through my build thread real quick and found this shot. It doesn't really show the brightness of them, but moreso the placement of the COB strips.

attachment.php

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
My underhood accent lights as well as on the sides

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Along the sides...

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
And under the tailgate between the rollpan and bottom of tailgate. Not functional other than for sitting at shows

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
@84 C20 @78c10bigten

i think these photos may be slightly overexposed for the actual lighting.. been a while since I took them. But the two COB lights make it easy to work under the hood without a flashlight.

The on/off switch for them is the green rocker switch on the aux fuse box panel on the driver side fender.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
It'd be cool if you used blacklights under the hood and then did a whole bunch of coloring. If its a used truck and no cleaning has been done to the interior.....don't take a black light in the cab.....70s-80s where CRAZY!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128