Kickdown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
I have an 84 GMC K2500. It has a 350 with quadrajet and a th350 tranny. I noticed that my truck does not drop a gear when i get on it. I looked to adjust my kickdown cable to hopefully solve the issue. On my quadrajet there are two cables. The throttle, and the only other one is the line going to the cruise control. Does this setup not have a kickdown cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You should have a cable coming up from the right side of the case to the carb..

You must be registered for see images

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
ok i will take a look. i only looked at the carb side today and could not find anything connected. thanks for the info/help.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My '87 TBI 350 w/ 700r4 has that issue on occasion. Sometimes it has no problem kicking down, other times it won't. I experienced that yesterday. Made a right hand turn at about 10 MPH and floored it. It would not drop a gear. At highway speeds it's fine. I've read where there is quite a spread between 1st and 2nd gear. Would that spread prevent the tranny from down shifting?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!! It's NOT a kickdown. OK, so you're a noob !!! We'll let you have a pass this time, but you will get educated.

Kickdown is a FORD term, and is usually a rod, not a cable. On a 700r4 it's called a TV cable as in Throttle Valve. In a Th350 it's a Detent Cable. Does similar to what a 700r4 cable does, but a 700r4 cable does more and is much more critical to be set right. It's use is to communicate with the transmission and tell how much throttle pressure you're giving the engine, whether it be light throttle, part throttle, half throttle, WOT as in Wide Open Throttle. YES, it does also control downshift aka passing gear. But the cable also helps determine shift points with the governor and vacuum modulator. Without that cable hooked up your shifts will be very early. If it's set to tight, you will shift late. In the 700r4 the cable setting also determines fluid pressure so it's critical on a 700r4 and will cook a transmission in no time if not set right. Good thing about a Th350, it doesn't regulate fluid pressure, so your Th350 will not be trashed if you don't have the cable hooked up.

You might have the wrong cable on that transmission. On some passenger cars, the cable goes back to the firewall and hooks to the gas pedal linkage. On our trucks it's supposed to be hooked to the carb or TBI linkage. So first things first, find the cable on the passenger side of your transmission and follow it and find the end of it and where it's going.

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Ok finally went out and found the switch near the pedal assembly. However the pedal assembly does not engage the switch when floored. Does it need to be adjusted or is it my pedal assembly that is out of play? Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ok finally went out and found the switch near the pedal assembly. However the pedal assembly does not engage the switch when floored. Does it need to be adjusted or is it my pedal assembly that is out of play? Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction.

Me personally, I would take that mess at the pedal and throw it in the trash. I've always put my passing gear on the shifter via a push button when using a TH400.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm glad you found the switch. It is actually on the gas pedal assembly, not the steering column. The steering column has the Park Neutral Safety Switch and the back up lights switch in a half moon over the column.

I'd leave all that mess and get it working correctly. I like Automatics to be Automatic. BUT, the secondary push button that HKJ is talking about is a cool addition and you can have both the OEM set up and the bush button located anywhere you want it. It's great for a mid or part throttle downshift. There is a slight adjustment too you can make where it'll hit the switch a little bit before full throttle. That's why there is notches in the bracket of gas pedal assembly. So you can move the switch back a bit and the pedal linkage engage it a bit sooner which is the way I prefer it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hmmm, I've never heard of this being a problem. Can you get a pic of your gas pedal assembly? Being an 84 and a 700r4 truck, makes me wonder if your pedal linkage didn't get the rod that is supposed to hit the switch. If not, it's real easy to swap out.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
See the rod behind the switch? You may not have that on your pedal linkage.

JMAT5243

Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
The rod is there. It seems to be the correct pedal assembly. Its just that when i mash the pedal down as far as it will go, it does not even touch the white part of the switch that sticks out. It also seems that i do not have much travel in the gas pedal. I took the slack out of the throttle cable via some zip ties, but still not much travel. When i floor it to WOT it opens the secondaries on the quadrajet. So i am stumped..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The rod is there. It seems to be the correct pedal assembly. Its just that when i mash the pedal down as far as it will go, it does not even touch the white part of the switch that sticks out. It also seems that i do not have much travel in the gas pedal. I took the slack out of the throttle cable via some zip ties, but still not much travel. When i floor it to WOT it opens the secondaries on the quadrajet. So i am stumped..
Are you sure the switch isn't installed backwards if that's even possible? Where the stem should be closer to the rod? I'd almost have to see it to figure it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400