K5 Bucket Seat Hinge Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
The driver's side hinge on my '88 Blazer reclines all the way back but won't lock in any of the "upright" positions. The inside hinge is all that keeps it from falling backwards and I'm leery of driving it that way. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, can you tell me how you fixed it?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 88 2500 did the same thing. I just piled junk behind the seat to keep it up:rolleyes:

Sorry, I just use it to plow a parking lot, and it never leaves the property, so it works for me. If There are parts on the pass side seat that will help you fix it, let me know, that one works fine, and
I plan to junk the truck this summer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The driver's side hinge on my '88 Blazer reclines all the way back but won't lock in any of the "upright" positions. The inside hinge is all that keeps it from falling backwards and I'm leery of driving it that way. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, can you tell me how you fixed it?

The mechanism just gets stuck, usually from lack of use. Just remove the trim cover, spray a little penetrating oil in there (nothing stinky) and let it soak a minute. While holding the recline lever up AND holding the seatback in the upright position, give the recliner mechanism a couple love taps with a ball-peen hammer. It should snap right back into operation, then just use it a few times to make sure it's not sticking anymore.

Also, sometimes when you pull the recline lever, you have to push it back down. That may free up with some lube also.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Thanks bucket! I'll try that today. Much appreciated!

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
bucket, my lever in the back stays in the up position. I lubed it (saturated it), tapped on it liberally and...nothing.

So I put it in a bucket and soaked it with PB Blaster overnight, then whacked on it, blew it out with the air compressor, literally soaked it with spray lithium grease and...nothing!

Any other suggestions?

My 88 2500 did the same thing. I just piled junk behind the seat to keep it up:rolleyes:

Sorry, I just use it to plow a parking lot, and it never leaves the property, so it works for me. If There are parts on the pass side seat that will help you fix it, let me know, that one works fine, and
I plan to junk the truck this summer.

SDJunkMan,

Would you have the hinge cover for the passenger side? I really need one of those. If your going to scrap it would you have any of the following: Brushed aluminum dash bezel with air,
Dash bezel for '88 with wiper switch on column,
Inside, bottom of both doors where vent is w/ plastic inner vent piece,
(PO cut mine to install 6x9 speaker near back of door in the middle of the indentation)
Pads that go under console (and/or console),
Plastic caps the go over ends of door pull straps,
Plastic duct that goes to a/c vent on left side of dash bezel and hose (not really sure if I can make that fit since I have hand controls [T11-12 paraplegic]) but I thought I'd at least try.
(Good thing my son is a mechanic!)

I realize I dumped a lot on you with that list. I'd gladly pay you for your parts, labor and of course, shipping. Thank you for any help you can give me.

(I purchased my Blazer online that was supposed to be in EC. WRONG! Seller was very skillful in taking pictures that didn't show damaged parts. I think I purchased a "basket case.") Thanks again!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The lever on the side of the seat is for the recline function, where the little one on the back just overrides the inertia safety latch that keeps the seatback from flopping forward in a sudden stop.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
bucket, my lever in the back stays in the up position. I lubed it (saturated it), tapped on it liberally and...nothing.

So I put it in a bucket and soaked it with PB Blaster overnight, then whacked on it, blew it out with the air compressor, literally soaked it with spray lithium grease and...nothing!

Any other suggestions?

SDJunkMan,

Would you have the hinge cover for the passenger side? I really need one of those. If your going to scrap it would you have any of the following: Brushed aluminum dash bezel with air,
Dash bezel for '88 with wiper switch on column,
Inside, bottom of both doors where vent is w/ plastic inner vent piece,
(PO cut mine to install 6x9 speaker near back of door in the middle of the indentation)
Pads that go under console (and/or console),
Plastic caps the go over ends of door pull straps,
Plastic duct that goes to a/c vent on left side of dash bezel and hose (not really sure if I can make that fit since I have hand controls [T11-12 paraplegic]) but I thought I'd at least try.
(Good thing my son is a mechanic!)

I realize I dumped a lot on you with that list. I'd gladly pay you for your parts, labor and of course, shipping. Thank you for any help you can give me.

(I purchased my Blazer online that was supposed to be in EC. WRONG! Seller was very skillful in taking pictures that didn't show damaged parts. I think I purchased a "basket case.") Thanks again!
I think the hinge cover is there, I will check when I go over there (probably this weekend). As for the dash pieces, my 88 has the newer style dash, not the squarebody style. The body is the newer rounded style, where I think your Blazer still uses the squarebody style, so I don't think any of the door panel parts will work, but I will look at them. Mine had an aftermarket oak console (was a conversion truck), but its pretty rough.

There are a couple of Blazers at the pick-a-part near me. I need to go there this week, I'll see if any of the parts you need are available, although I am pretty sure that they have been picked over pretty good.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
SDJunkMan,

Thanks for the offer to check on the parts for me. Very much appreciated.

As for the dash parts, mine does have the square body style, brushed aluminum.

Thanks again.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
SDJunkMan,

Thanks for the offer to check on the parts for me. Very much appreciated.

As for the dash parts, mine does have the square body style, brushed aluminum.

Thanks again.
I finally had a chance to get over to my 88 and made it to the pick a part, and no luck on either. The seats in the 88 are aftermarket and don't have the side covers. There are 2 blazers at the pick a part, one is missing the seats and the other doesn't have the side pieces. Both have been picked over pretty good and most of the trim is missing. They are supposed to be getting in a 85 burb soon, not sure if those pieces would fit yours (if they are there).

What does the pad that goes under the console look like? There is a console in one of the Blazers, but it has a cracked lid.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Just wanting to update post: I found the hinges, covers and console Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
SDjunkMan, I thought there was a piece that went under the console for support but I'm not sure now if there is or not. I saw a picture of one but it might have been from a different year. Not going to worry about it. If mine needs one I'll just make it.Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave