Junking 88 2500 what should I keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now that the artic weather has passed, I am going to strip out my 88 2500 and junk it. The tranny is bad, engine weak, body rusted out, and interior rough.

I planned to keep the engine and tranny for cores (350 auto), not sure what wiring I should keep in case I want to use the TBI on a future project, or where the computer is for it.

Are there any other parts worth saving that I any be able to use on a square? Steering box, steering column, fuel tank?

It's got low back bucket seats, would they fit in a square without too much modification? I don't know if they are factory, the truck had a conversion on it, and they may have added their own seats along with the oak trim and console (which is all pretty rough also).

I would really hate to crush this thing then find out there is something that I should have saved.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Now that the artic weather has passed, I am going to strip out my 88 2500 and junk it. The tranny is bad, engine weak, body rusted out, and interior rough.

I planned to keep the engine and tranny for cores (350 auto), not sure what wiring I should keep in case I want to use the TBI on a future project, or where the computer is for it.

Are there any other parts worth saving that I any be able to use on a square? Steering box, steering column, fuel tank?

It's got low back bucket seats, would they fit in a square without too much modification? I don't know if they are factory, the truck had a conversion on it, and they may have added their own seats along with the oak trim and console (which is all pretty rough also).

I would really hate to crush this thing then find out there is something that I should have saved.
If you got the room let it hang around. At this point I’m sure it don’t eat much.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh, man. I'd make me a GMT400 part stash out of that thing. Cluster, ECM (works with 87-91 squares), wiring harness, steering column, door panels if they're any good, climate controller, radio, glass, dash if it's any good, glovebox door, engine accessories, anything that still works... I agree with the consensus, though. You could forget a chicken **** part that you might need or want down the road, and it's too late.

3504boltmain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
5.7l
Step 1: Remove gas cap
Step 2: Drive truck away
Step 3: Park new Chevy truck in same place
Step 4: Install gas cap
Step 5: Drive new truck
:dancingpoop:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

The steering wheel, fuel pump, the ECM is under the glovebox, distributor, they usually have little bus bars on the firewall that are useful for wiring accessories.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Is the wiring fron the ECM to the engine a separate harness or should I keep the whole wiring harness?

The engine harness is mostly separate from the body harness.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Is the wiring fron the ECM to the engine a separate harness or should I keep the whole wiring harness?
I'd tag everything (the ends) and keep the entire harness intact. Coil it up and put it in a box with the ECM. But that's just me.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Fuel pump relay, power distro block on firewall, seat if in good condition might be an upgrade for your square, serpentine belt setup, 14 bolt rear axle (front also if 4x4) under hood light can be a life saver on the side of the road, cruise control parts might swap over, fuel pump is the same weak pump in the 87-95 I wouldnt mess with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL