Junk yard parts to pick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
In a few weeks we might run up 3 hours to a pic n pull. Below is a list of upgrades that I might grab and thought I might grab more while I'm there. Please feel free to reply and we'll try to manage it in such a way that the first post has a total list of parts mentioned in all the posts.

This is for upgrades/mods.....stuff that aren't typical to our vehicles. Please be specific as you can with year/make/model/engine as necessary

Standard Upgrades

1. 88-96 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand) intermediate shaft
2. Rear view mirrors w/temp/compass
3. (Be cool to see a harness for the headlights we can nab cheap)
4. - 88-98 Chevy truck Power distribution block to the "standard" list.
5. - 95-99 split bench seat (Chevy truck I'm assuming) to the "standard" list
6. - Alternator from LT1 Caprice, Impala, Roadmonster, F car, mounts look the same as factory alt but is 100+ amp to the standard list
7. Fuel door hinge off 02-04 Jeep Cherokee for tail light fuel filler Mod

LS Swap Parts:

-2006 Silverado fan relay box/harness (use with 98 Windstar fan....possibly other. Add temp controller for standard Square)

Ideas.....radiator, sensors, fuse boxes, fan controllers, bed lights, head lights, LS swap stuff....

I'll need a Moderator to help me update this LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
K20 axles w/ posi. Any ratio higher than 3.08 would be helpful.
And make a list of "little chrome pieces, misc stuff" broke out of your truck. When wandering the pic-n-pull yard it is not always easy to remember all the little things that you could use.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I would also encourage you to put the list on your phone if not already there. I can't count all the times I've had a list or thought scribbled on a piece of paper that was miles away from me when I stopped at the pick n pull.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Power distribution block from the 88-98 Chevy trucks,hand and clean install when adding fans, headlight relays, off road lights etc..

95-99 split bench seat

Alternator from LT1 Caprice, Impala, Roadmonster, F car, mounts look the same as factory alt but is 100+ amp

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Power distribution block from the 88-98 Chevy trucks,hand and clean install when adding fans, headlight relays, off road lights etc.

fuse block under the dash? Or is there one under the hood? I'm liking the mini relay idea and my fuse block would look nice, but thought it would be nice to have the fuses and relays in one assembly for the LS.

Pic by chance?

Thanks M8

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What do you need a Mod to update?

What year headlight wiring harness are you looking for? Single or Dual Headlight?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
fuse block under the dash? Or is there one under the hood? I'm liking the mini relay idea and my fuse block would look nice, but thought it would be nice to have the fuses and relays in one assembly for the LS.

Pic by chance?

Thanks M8

In the middle
You must be registered for see images attach

Ill go snap pics of the fuse blocks I planning on using.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I would also encourage you to put the list on your phone if not already there. I can't count all the times I've had a list or thought scribbled on a piece of paper that was miles away from me when I stopped at the pick n pull.

Another, just general tip on JY removals:

It sucks to find something wonderful at the salvage yard, and then - as you attempt to pull it from the vehicle - you discover that you didn't bring along the necessary tools.

If you have been good to the yard guys (e.g. brought them 6-packs of beer, doughnuts, pizza) for previous favors rendered, they are generally happy to share their tools. But if this is your first trip to an unfamiliar yard, that might not be an option.

To avoid this, always try to do a dry run of that part removal in the garage at home. It doesn't even have to be a complete removal. In most cases, just getting under the truck and actually putting your hands on the component will give you a good idea of what is required as far as tools. Look at the part for awhile and visualize the removal process. Also, it is critical to look around and make a mental note of any other parts that may need to be moved/removed in order to gain access to the target part.

Some other tips;

A can of both PBlaster and WD-40 will help speed things up considerably.

Many hard parts on these trucks are rusted together or their fasteners are seized. Most yards will not allow the use of heat by the customer, so forget about bringing your B-tank. And asking a yardguy to bring a torch over to help you is often met with a look of disbelief - if not anger. So the best alternative is a cordless Sawzall with a fully charged battery.

Flashlights. They are key for two reasons;

1. When working on parts under the body in areas where there is limited direct lighting from the sun. And, I don't know about anyone else but, I find it harder to see into a dark area on a sunny day than on an overcast one.

2. Junkyards close at 6PM for the most part. At that point it is starting to get dark and you might still be working on removing something that you really want. You are almost done, but the guys want to go home and are walking around telling people to GTFO. Having battery powered lighting will really help you do those final steps to pull the part.

If it's going to be a hot day and you sweat a lot - bring a towel. Also, if you are a beer drinker - and plan to spend all day working at the yard - bring a few beers in a Playmate cooler. Take a beer break every couple of hours and use that time to walk around and look for other desirable trucks/parts that you may have missed on the first search.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
What do you need a Mod to update?

What year headlight wiring harness are you looking for? Single or Dual Headlight?

thanks HR

Please add:
- 88-98 Chevy truck Power distribution block to the "standard" list.
- 95-99 split bench seat (Chevy truck I'm assuming) to the "standard" list
- Alternator from LT1 Caprice, Impala, Roadmonster, F car, mounts look the same as factory alt but is 100+ amp to the standard list

Not really sure about the headlights. Last time I was privy to picking at 3 different yards, they all said "yeh folks are looking for XX model headlight harness's and bulbs". They were prolly talking about the HID upgrade. Be nice if there was a harness out there to make the headlight upgrade easy instead of building your own.....be it HID or the simple Headlight/relay battery upgrade.

One thing I'm really looking for is a fuse block that is small, rectangular, with about 10 fuses and at least 5 relays....10 would be better. Be easier to mount and tuck away in the master cylinder area on our squares.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thanks HR

Please add:
- Alternator from LT1 Caprice, Impala, Roadmonster, F car, mounts look the same as factory alt but is 100+ amp to the standard list

Got'R Done !!!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
thanks HR

Please add:

Not really sure about the headlights. Last time I was privy to picking at 3 different yards, they all said "yeh folks are looking for XX model headlight harness's and bulbs". They were prolly talking about the HID upgrade. Be nice if there was a harness out there to make the headlight upgrade easy instead of building your own.....be it HID or the simple Headlight/relay battery upgrade.

One thing I'm really looking for is a fuse block that is small, rectangular, with about 10 fuses and at least 5 relays....10 would be better. Be easier to mount and tuck away in the master cylinder area on our squares.
I know you're looking more for factory parts, but I've got a Bussmann RTMR fuse box added in my truck. 5 relays and 10 fuses. They also make one with 10 relays, but it's considerably bigger.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know you're looking more for factory parts, but I've got a Bussmann RTMR fuse box added in my truck. 5 relays and 10 fuses. They also make one with 10 relays, but it's considerably bigger.

I'm not so sure there is a factory 10 fuse 5 relay fuse block. I'd think that would have to be aftermarket. :shrug:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What is the benefit of using a Cherokee intermediate steering shaft?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

I saw those. Look really nice also.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Get 'er done! You've done 10X more work on that truck than I ever did on the 55 Chevy sedan I had when I was 17.

I like the wheels, hubcaps, and rear bumper with the dealer's name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes