Junk r134a adapters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
I recently rebuilt my whole ac with all new parts, but I've been noticing that it doesn't blow cold anymore, i looked around the system for a leak and found that on the accumulator, where I had to put an adaptor for the low pressure side port, it was leaking from the Schrader valve. If i buy one of those cans of refrigerant from the store and try to fill it back up myself without pulling vacuum again would that work? After that id just remove the adaptor from the system

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It would work if there is still some pressure in the system.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
It would work if there is still some pressure in the system.

When i take a screw driver and press the Schrader valve i get a little bit of a hiss, not much tho, is that enough?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
When i take a screw driver and press the Schrader valve i get a little bit of a hiss, not much tho, is that enough?
Should be ok. Generally trying to avoid the situation where it would normalize with ambient air.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
After you you do it, make sure you have a new adapter waiting. Same thing happened to me about a year ago, and I did the same thing you’re about to do, and it worked out fine.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
After you you do it, make sure you have a new adapter waiting. Same thing happened to me about a year ago, and I did the same thing you’re about to do, and it worked out fine.

Yea i just went to take the adapter off, and it sprayed out, i had to put it back on real fast. Im not sure if there's sny pressure left, isnt there a valve behind the adapter?!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yeah, the original R12 valve is behind the adapter. It’s supposed to quit once you pull the adapter all the way off if there’s nothing wrong with it.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Yeah, the original R12 valve is behind the adapter. It’s supposed to quit once you pull the adapter all the way off if there’s nothing wrong with it.

Is there a chance the shop pulled off the Schrader valve for the r12 bit? It just blew out when i got the adapter off

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The valve itself is integrated into the accumulator, and you need a valve core removal tool to pull the stem of the valve out. The adapter is intended to go over the R12 low side port as is. Same for the high side adapter. I don’t know why anyone would remove the R12 valve core because if it ever failed again, which they do, you’d unscrew the adapter and loose all your Freon and oil and be back at the evacuation and vacuum phase. The pssh noise when you first unscrew it is normal, but it should go away the more you turn it and be gone whenever the adapter’s off if it was done correctly. So that’s not what happened to you? It just kept going?

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
The valve itself is integrated into the accumulator, and you need a valve core removal tool to pull the stem of the valve out. The adapter is intended to go over the R12 low side port as is. Same for the high side adapter. I don’t know why anyone would remove the R12 valve core because if it ever failed again, which they do, you’d unscrew the adapter and loose all your Freon and oil. The pssh noise when you first unscrew it is normal, but it should go away the more you turn it and be gone whenever the adapter’s off. So that’s not what happened to you? It just kept going?

Yea it kept blowing like the valve had been removed by the shop. Im too scared to take it back off and check because i don't wanma loose any pressure i may still have, im gonna go try to get them to hook me up because all the work on that was done by them

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The valve itself is integrated into the accumulator, and you need a valve core removal tool to pull the stem of the valve out. The adapter is intended to go over the R12 low side port as is. Same for the high side adapter. I don’t know why anyone would remove the R12 valve core because if it ever failed again, which they do, you’d unscrew the adapter and loose all your Freon and oil and be back at the evacuation and vacuum phase. The pssh noise when you first unscrew it is normal, but it should go away the more you turn it and be gone whenever the adapter’s off if it was done correctly. So that’s not what happened to you? It just kept going?

Some versions of the adapter have their own valve and you MUST remove the original Schrader valve. They suck because it creates a new potential leak point.

I always use the small aluminum type that take a special socket (although pliers work too). The "valve" in them just pushes on the original valve, so the original valve does all the sealing. They are also small enough that they have a factory-installed appearance.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Some versions of the adapter have their own valve and you MUST remove the original Schrader valve. They suck because it creates a new potential leak point.

I always use the small aluminum type that take a special socket (although pliers work too). The "valve" in them just pushes on the original valve, so the original valve does all the sealing. They are also small enough that they have a factory-installed appearance.

Could you suggest a link to a better one? Its sounding like I have the first one

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

That’s what I have. The adapters were sitting on the shelf at O’Reilly. My R134a low side adapter had broken exactly as the OP’s did, and whoever “converted” it didn’t install a high side adapter so it worked out well for just a few dollars. It doesn’t make sense to get one that depends on the adapter not failing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Could you suggest a link to a better one? Its sounding like I have the first one

I've always just went to the store and picked stuff out. NAPA has a nice AC parts book with a handful of different adapters. The big thing is to get a type that leaves the original schrader in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990