Is my AC compressor sized up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Reason

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I turned on the AC and it almost shut the truck off. Not 100 percent sure but I think my compressor has siezed up. I tried to turn the center part of the compressor by hand and it wouldn't budge. I did notice some rust around the clutch part of the compressor. Is there a chance to save it by spraying PB blaster into the clutch to tryand get it to break free or is his a lost cause? I bought the truck from someone else and the compressor actually looks in great shape other than the rust on the clutch.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Well, you aren't the only one today. Turned mine on this afternoon, made loud noise and smoke. Shut it off. Will be replacing very soon. Weather getting hotter now. Wish I could give you some advice on yours, but I'm not experienced with AC system. Good luck.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
If turning it on nearly stalls the engine, and all is good when turning it off, it is internal to the compressor. The pulley bearing would be an issue any time the engine is turning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike