Is 1.5* Positive Camber Too Much - If So, How Do I Adjust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I took the Jimmy to get aligned the other day. I was aware that aligning a solid front axle is different than IFS, but I was under the impression that toe adjustment is normal, and that while camber adjustment isn't conventional, there are methods to bring it close to spec. Well, the only alignment place nearby said that he adjusted the toe, but the camber reading was what I mentioned above, and he didn't know how to adjust or if it could be adjusted. What do I need to do? I just payed a lot of money for new tires, and I don't want them to be eaten up because some local yokel said there was nothing I could really do.

Napa sells camber kit for Dana 44 and 10 bolts, they come in varying degrees of adjustment, part numbers are 264-2062, 2642061,2642064,2642065, ranging from .5 degrees to 1.5 degrees. Unfortunately it may require 2 trips to the alignment rack to determine which one you may need, some shops may not charge you rack time to check, then just charge for the actual alignment and part install on the next visit. Hope this helps

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Napa sells camber kit for Dana 44 and 10 bolts, they come in varying degrees of adjustment, part numbers are 264-2062, 2642061,2642064,2642065, ranging from .5 degrees to 1.5 degrees. Unfortunately it may require 2 trips to the alignment rack to determine which one you may need, some shops may not charge you rack time to check, then just charge for the actual alignment and part install on the next visit. Hope this helps
This helps a lot, thanks! One question, do you know which part numbers go with which degree of adjustment? The website doesn't give any specifications when I search them.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
just found out napa no longer supplied them, but here is a part number to take to O'reillys and they can cross over to their numbers 264-2064, or 264-2065, hope this helps

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
just found out napa no longer supplied them, but here is a part number to take to O'reillys and they can cross over to their numbers 264-2064, or 264-2065, hope this helps
Yeah, I found the ones O'Reilly's sells. Do you know how I install these? I couldn't find even a leaflet on how to do that job.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just checked the alignment specs for a V-truck in the '87 service manual, and look what I found. 1.5* positive nominal. That seems a bit excessive to me still, and while they say there's no means of adjustment provided, you can provide your own. Still, though, it makes me feel better that it came that way. Thoughts @henrym, @Honky Kong jr, or anyone else?

You must be registered for see images attach

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just remember that is magnified if larger tires are used, factory specs are for factory size tires. The amount of tire wear on my old BFG's showed it to be too excessive, causing the wear on the outer tire edges.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think you'll be hard pressed to get a shop to go much farther than getting it to that spec. Not to say you couldn't address it yourself, then take it in for another alignment.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
according to following chart, 1.5* is correct. However, on my suburban it is right around 0.5*. Maybe gm got tired of warranty alignments and just changed the spec to 1.5 from original 0.5
You must be registered for see images

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That makes sense on the warranty stuff. The 1.5* is still within the listed range for pre-'85 4x4s. I just don't want to chew my expensive new tires up. And I am running the stock 31x10.5R15 tires. If I can get away with not fooling with it, I will.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That makes sense on the warranty stuff. The 1.5* is still within the listed range for pre-'85 4x4s. I just don't want to chew my expensive new tires up. And I am running the stock 31x10.5R15 tires. If I can get away with not fooling with it, I will.
Just keep them rotated. There is a benefit to IFS but that just takes the fun out of it. Lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Indeed. And if I find over time that the camber is too steep to ensure normal longevity of the tire, I'll report back here and see about getting it down to 1* like it suggested for the pre-'85s.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
These were meant to be in my previous pics/post. this was the setting after installing adjusters on the upper balljoints. . Plus my new Wranglers

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
+ camber is correct for these trucks? I ordered some delco adjusters from rockauto 45k6064

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Wow, I should have dealt with this a year and a half ago, but I have a little time now, and I’ve been devoting almost all of it to my Jimmy. I found these. They should bring the camber to +0.25 on both sides. That way if I have to replace something in the future, and it goes to neutral or even negative .25, it won’t be a big deal. So I have to tear into the lower ball joint area to install the sleeve? At this point, only my knowledge of the 4x4 front end is my weakness. @4WDKC @yevgenievich @henrym

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
These go on the upper ball joint. Take the big nut off the ball joint and possibly loosen the lower ball joint nut to take the pressure off the upper. Under the top nut is this sleeve. You are going to need the application specific spanner socket to remove the original sleeve and to install the new one. As you are installing the new sleeve you will see the ball joint stud moving in, out ,back ,and forth. You want the stud to the inner most position to decrease the camber. Before the sleeve gets tight you should tighten the lower, then the sleeve to the proper position and then install the top nut and torque it to specs. Other than taking the wheel and tire off that should be it.