Intro from an old Assembly Plant guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Keith, I've seen your posts on another truck forum. Those are some great stories about your dad and his factory-built Pontiac race cars.

A question: What did you use for a spare tire mount?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Don't know how I missed this intro ! Welcome Keith :) Your knowledge of these old squares should be invaluable!

Im quite curious of how tight the measurement tolerances were when GM assembled these Frames ?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Keith, I have been seeing your posts here and there on different threads and I must tell you how happy I am you are on this forum! The wealth of knowledge you will bring will help many of us on here with our beloved squares!
:cheers:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Thanks, guys -

A question: What did you use for a spare tire mount?

For the fleetside: it's a regularly available option, RPO P13. Just check the box on the order form.

For the stepside: it was never available on the inside of the box like that. I took the underbed carrier and cut both ends off it, added a slot and bolted it to the inside of the box (drilling those holes in my brand new pickup was a bit tense :whymewhyme:). I made my own carrier bolt and threw the tire in there.

Im quite curious of how tight the measurement tolerances were when GM assembled these Frames ?

I'd have to ask somebody in order to come up with a specific number.

In case it's not obvious - those frames came into the final vehicle assembly plant as individual pieces: LH rail, RH rail, all of the crossmembers, etc. They were built up on a "pedestal line", which was a moving conveyer but which had "posts" the individual pieces were layed out upon and then riveted together. The plus side is that those pedestals provided the fixturing, and would be pretty consistent for that one pedestal. The down side is that there dozens (or more) of those pedestals and there would be variation between each of them.

One other comment: Frames were assembled upside down until the point that the axles were installed. Axles (or front suspension crossmember for 2wd vehicles) were placed upon the frame/spring pads and then as soon as they were secured the frames were flipped right side up using a chain hoist.

K

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, guys -

For the fleetside: it's a regularly available option, RPO P13. Just check the box on the order form.

For the stepside: it was never available on the inside of the box like that. I took the underbed carrier and cut both ends off it, added a slot and bolted it to the inside of the box (drilling those holes in my brand new pickup was a bit tense :whymewhyme:). I made my own carrier bolt and threw the tire in there.

Darn, I should have checked that box when I got my 82 stepside last year. :)

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately some moron PO removed all the under-bed spare tire hardware.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks, guys -

I'd have to ask somebody in order to come up with a specific number.

In case it's not obvious - those frames came into the final vehicle assembly plant as individual pieces: LH rail, RH rail, all of the crossmembers, etc. They were built up on a "pedestal line", which was a moving conveyer but which had "posts" the individual pieces were layed out upon and then riveted together. The plus side is that those pedestals provided the fixturing, and would be pretty consistent for that one pedestal. The down side is that there dozens (or more) of those pedestals and there would be variation between each of them.

One other comment: Frames were assembled upside down until the point that the axles were installed. Axles (or front suspension crossmember for 2wd vehicles) were placed upon the frame/spring pads and then as soon as they were secured the frames were flipped right side up using a chain hoist.

K

You wouldn't happen to have any old assembly videos of our squares would you?

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Welcome over to GMSB Keith. Nice to have someone with your experience over here with us. I as well have enjoyed the wealth of info you have shared on some of the other sites. :wave:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome Keith, that is a great history you have there, very happy you shared with us here. My Suburban is from the Flint plant. :)

Myojunk

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
^ hahahaha

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I'm not aware of any video that exists.

If anything pops up I will let you know.

K

Wasn't there a movie or documentary a while back that was shot at the Flint plant showing squares?

Roger & Me! That's the one I am thinking of!

[yt]L8jhqrQRhrY[/yt]

Only a few seconds long, starts at about 7 minutes or so.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Well done!

I knew of "Roger and Me" but I've never watched it so I didn't know that footage was in there.

I went to high school with Michael Moore, so I tend to stay as far away as I can from him or his work.

K

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
welcome from southern maine, great to have you and your knowledge onboard