Intermittent wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MustyEggwoll

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7L
So my wipers will work perfectly fine and every once in a while I'll get a check engine light and simultaneously my wipers will stop working. Is this a problem with just a faulty ground or possibly just the turn signal lever going out or some other issue?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hmm, that's an odd one. There must be a faulty ground or 12v supply that they both share.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
So my wipers will work perfectly fine and every once in a while I'll get a check engine light and simultaneously my wipers will stop working. Is this a problem with just a faulty ground or possibly just the turn signal lever going out or some other issue?

Yeah weird, huh?

Jason, if you check the ECM for stored Digital Trouble Codes, that might give you a hint as to what is going on.

Even thought the SES (Service Engine Soon) light goes out after 10 seconds after an intermittent fault, the associated DTC is stored in the ECM's memory. Any stored codes can be retrieved by counting the flashes of the SES warning light on the dash. The process is explained below.

To check for stored DTC's:

Take a regular paper clip - or a piece of wire -and form it into a "U" shape with a sharp bend - so that the two legs are only about 1/4" apart.

Locate the ALDL (assembly line diagnostic link) connector. It should be under the dash on the LH side of the steering column.

Using the diagram below, locate the "A" & "B" terminals. If you're not sure, look closely with a flashlight, there should be tiny letters under each terminal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turn the ignition switch to RUN (not to START) and use the paper clip to jump terminal A to B.

Be prepared to count the flashes of the SES light.

First the ECM will display code 12. This just indicates that the diagnostic system is functioning properly. Code 12 is (one flash/pause/two flashes) - this sequence will repeat 3 times.

After code 12 is displayed 3 times, any other DTC's that are present will be flashed in a similar manner (also 3 times each). Write the stored codes down (if there were any) and then refer to the chart below for the cause. You can do this as many times as necessary, the codes will stay stored for 50 starts.

DTC identification used in 1987:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redneckgames