Intellitronix digital dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Anybody installed the intellitronix digital dash unit?

They're considerably less expensive than the Dakota Digital ones...
I'm 90% sure I want one, just want to get some reviews if possible before I pull the trigger...

Intellitronix Digital dash for 73-8 chevy truck

I'm also having a hard time deciding what color to get.. They come in white, red, blue or green LED.. any issues with visibility on these units, or is one color less visible than another, etc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• intellitronix dash - blue.jpg
    intellitronix dash - blue.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 939

wamullins

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Been looking at these myself. I have seen good reviews and bad reviews. They look good in the dash. Would like to see a review from someone who has had them for a year or two.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pretty cool looking, I'm going full Autometer on mine.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Been looking at these myself. I have seen good reviews and bad reviews. They look good in the dash. Would like to see a review from someone who has had them for a year or two.

Of what nature are the bad reviews? Hopefully not quality/functionality...

wamullins

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Of what nature are the bad reviews? Hopefully not quality/functionality...

Unfortunately yes. Bars going out, speedo not reading right, tach being off. Then I have read some where everything worked good.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Unfortunately yes. Bars going out, speedo not reading right, tach being off. Then I have read some where everything worked good.

Do you know if the company replaced/repaired the defective units?

I'm thinking that the issues with the speedo not reading right are due to not paying attention to shielding or twisting the sender unit wires, as at three feet of connected cable, most everyone probably has to extend them...

But I'll be sure to ask them about all of this before I order and see what they have to say....

Any idea how old these reviews were... Possibly something with earlier units (common for new products of this nature)?

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size

Been doing some reading on line.. The bars going out thing has happened to a few people.. Hard to tell how many as there aren't a lot of reviews out there...

The issues with wrong readings and stuff appears to be related to grounding issues.. Apparently the units are very susceptible to problems with bad grounds, corroded connections, etc.. After a fresh rewire, I probably won't have that issue..

Most of the bad bars complaints, seem to be prior to 2013... Most of the issues after that are related to set up issues in certain installations...

Apparently they used to have a shorter term warranty, but now it is lifetime.. Which helps ease the uncertainty some...

I'm gonna keep looking, but this is pretty much at the max of my price range for this, and I need something soon... I don't want to put money into the existing gauges when I know that I want to replace them anyways...

What I really like is the LCD dashes, but they are super duper pricey...

There are some nice DIY hacks using cell phones, LCD screens, etc... but they all require OBDII in the vehicle... That's not an option for an old truck...

There seems to be a sizable hole in what's available to the consumer in the way of interfaces for older cars/trucks to add such functionality..

I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a device to fill that hole?

I might look into it...

wamullins

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
As reviews go on most things, people will post a bad review quicker than a good review. It maybe several months but I believe I will get one and give it a try.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
As reviews go on most things, people will post a bad review quicker than a good review. It maybe several months but I believe I will get one and give it a try.

Yeah, these guys have been around a long time.. Something has kept them in business.. and their dashes are being sold by summit, jegs, classic industries, O'reilly, etc..

I'm thinking that if they're that bad, these companies wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of the complaints/returns...

Basically, I'm trying to talk myself into buying one after you scared me.. :gr_grin:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
So, got my digital gauge set last night, and have been digging in..

if you get one of these, be prepared to do some modifications.. Both to your cluster backing plate, and to their stuff...

You're gonna need a dremel tool with a abrasive cutting disc, some small allen wrenches, some silicone, etc...

A couple of simple changes and this all would go so much easier...

So far, I've had no trouble getting through to tech support, and things are a little confused on their end, but I'm getting it figured out..

Their instructions leave some info out, and is flat wrong in places.. They said they have hired someone to fix their instructions and their website..

But in any case, i'm gonna do a full write up and post it..

thinking about a YouTube video after the fact, using pictures and voice over... Will post whatever I come up with here and in my build thread when it's done and I know 'all' the little work arounds, tips and tricks...

Not much left to do before I'm ready to install it... But will wait till tomorrow, after the silicone has fully dried...

:cheers:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size