Intake manifold gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok so im finally trying to get my truck back together. Ive got the gaskets. Need to pick up some gasket maker for the ends and a tap and die to clean holes and bolts. And probably some sealent for the end of the bolts? Any of them hit coolent passages? Need to look up the correct torque specs and pattern too. Am i missing aything?

But my main question is what do i do with the restrictor plates for the center of the head? My engine isnt listed I pulled the old ones out didnt know i needed to look for that only one side had one in it before but the PO was in the engine so that might not even be right.

This is a mark 4 big block in my 89.

You must be registered for see images attach

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Heres the intake and the factory carb to tbi adapter which lets coolant pass under the tbi never seen anything like it. I was reading online i guess they did it that way because in some places when it got really cold the tbi would freeze up idk.

Last edited:

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No one have any ideas? The best answer I could find on google was to put one in and on the egr side of the manifold. Guess i should have asked about cologne not a big block chevy you all seem to be a wealth of knowledge on that subject lol :shrug:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
LS motors (and others) have hoses that run coolant through or around the throttle body. I believe the theory is to heat the air passing through for a more emissions friendly burn. I could be wrong on that but it seems to be a common practice although i've never seen it on a TBI but I've never work on a BBC.

When I ordered head bolts they all came with thread sealer on them so that was a non issue. Again, for an SBC but I dont see why they wouldnt do the same for a BBC.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
LS motors (and others) have hoses that run coolant through or around the throttle body. I believe the theory is to heat the air passing through for a more emissions friendly burn. I could be wrong on that but it seems to be a common practice although i've never seen it on a TBI but I've never work on a BBC.

When I ordered head bolts they all came with thread sealer on them so that was a non issue. Again, for an SBC but I dont see why they wouldnt do the same for a BBC.

Yea this is my first big block. The last small block I did the intake on didnt have the restrictor plates as far as i remember. I didnt know anything about them till my gasket showed up then i started looking online and cant find a good answer. And my paper dont say for my engine. Id be happy just to put it back to how it came to start with! lol heck if i knew to look for that i would have paid my attention when i pulled it and just went with whatever the po did.

I dont think any of the intake bolts hit the water passage I just want to be sure before I end up with a mess and having to redo it.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the water passages and exhaust under the carb and TBI is for faster warm ups. however heating of the incoming air flow has a negative effect on overall performance. I block both sides off but I live in a fairly warm climate. highdesertranger

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well figured I would update this...I put them in without the restrictors so we will see how she runs. Got it mostly back together today. I had pics of it before I took apart last year now new phone and pics are gone! Just need to figure out how the map sensor was mounted maybe I lost a bracket im not sure. I know the vaccum line plugs in to the back of the tbi. Ive got a vaccum t by the cruise with one open port and one extra line still too but need to figure out where they go! I went to put a new oil filter in and fought with the old one for quite a while it was in there good! Drained the oil and got a lot of water out which has me concerned. The hood was closed but somehow the water got past it and down my engine. When I turn it over it has a squeak somewhere inside the motor even after I primed the oil.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Just to comment. Some say you should not use a thread cutting tap to clean holes but rather a thread restorer tap so as not to make the hole bigger.

I also recently found out that there are several size taps of the same thread size depending how deep you want the threads cut into the material.

Just sayin'

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just to comment. Some say you should not use a thread cutting tap to clean holes but rather a thread restorer tap so as not to make the hole bigger.

I also recently found out that there are several size taps of the same thread size depending how deep you want the threads cut into the material.

Just sayin'

Interesting I never knew that! I used a regular tap so hopefully they will be ok. I found where the other end of the vaccum t goes its for the heat controls and found the bracket for my map sensor under the bench i laid everything out on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK