installing radiator with aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishingdave

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 3500 dually dump body
Engine Size
I ended up installing a carquest radiator in my c3500 dump truck, I had to remove the rubber mounts and trim the fan shroud . to make it fit. It was was suppose to be a direct fit , yeah right! My question do you think the radiator will be fine without have the rubber bushing installed on the bottom or the top bracket? It doesn't move at all and the brackets fit tightly over the top.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Those rubber inserts are there for a purpose. If they're removed, it won't be long until the steel core support eats it way through that soft radiator.... You know what is said about hind sight having 20 - 20 vision.. When the radiator was deemed not a direct fit, a return to CARQUEST would have been the next move..

fishingdave

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 3500 dually dump body
Engine Size
humm , im going to see if i can modify the pads and the upper mounts, the radiator is actually built pretty decent and i like how it beefier then the oem..

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I agree, you need the rubber bushings; however, there are different rubber bushings for different radiator options (1, 2, 3, 4 row). Also, at some point GM used a 17" high vs. a 19" high radiator vs. a 20 5/8" high radiator, and I think the metal support brackets were actually different for each size.

My guess is that your truck was designed for one radiator core size, but the one you bought is a larger size. You may be able to get it to fit directly if you get the right brackets and bushings. If you look at options from LMC truck or Rock Auto, and compare them to your old and new, you might be able to figure out what combination will work to make your new radiator a direct fit.

Bruce

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I put an aftermarket aluminium radiator in my 86 that no longer fit the stock rubber mounts, so ended up making my own for lack of better idea. Bought 2 maul handle protectors that were on sale for 2.50 each, measured the spots on the radiator, cut the protectors in half (one half makes a mount), used a scroll saw and cut out my pattern, then installed. Worked pretty dang good. In your case, probably have to modify the top brackets to fit over now. Plus side of my install was my shroud matched up to the holes at least.
You must be registered for see images attach

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah it needs to be isolated from any metal to metal contact. I've used old inner tubes and cut strips to go between them. As long as it fits pretty snug.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
humm , im going to see if i can modify the pads and the upper mounts, the radiator is actually built pretty decent and i like how it beefier then the oem..
"Beefier" in what way??? Sounds like they sold you a radiator that has an additional row of tubes, or maybe wider tubes. That would explain having to trim the shroud.. You might try scouring the local pick n pull.. Except for size, the pads are fairly universal. Try to find the rubber pads for a thicker radiator, possibly from a diesel model..

fishingdave

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 3500 dually dump body
Engine Size
i figured out , the radiator is for a big block , Since i have a small block the brackets are all different . great info from this forum http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=386928
I order a new top bracket and rubber and i think i should be all set, will take some pics when all done .. Since this a dump truck the more cooling the better !

thanks

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
If you get an aluminum radiator be sure to ground it or Electrolysis will ruin your investment.
:893Chainsaw-Smilie-:greenchainsaw:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you get an aluminum radiator be sure to ground it or Electrolysis will ruin your investment.
You gotta be shittin' me??? Grounding a radiator? I sure never heard of that before. I think I'll ground my tires. Will that help them from getting mud build up or something??? I mean, when my truck gets struck by lightning I want more than my hair to stand up. :happy175: Learn something new everyday. I never heard of that before.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC

W---T---F??? I have absolutely NEVER heard of that and over the years, I've dealt with countless aluminum radiators. I was around when they first became widely used.. I have a 2002 Ford C. V. and a 2007 Ford Ranger.. Both have aluminum radiators.. When I read the post, I went straight to the garage and looked at the radiators.. No grounding and no electrolysis anywhere.. I now have ground straps on both of them.. And just in case - I put a strap on the aluminum drive shaft..:rotflmao::rotflmao: But somebody tell me quick -- Where do I drive in the friggin ground rods??

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm going to make sure and ground my aluminum radiator...hurr durrr :console:

Definately need radiator bushings of some kind. I have seen pieces of garden hose used before. I know a guy that trimmed his radiator hoses/heater hoses and used that with great sucess.

I went ROUND AND ROUND with my C20 and turns out it had the "heavy duty cooling" option and the radiator was much larger than other, more standard sizes.
Did you know there are four different radiator supports for square body trucks?

I don't think Ratt was talking about radiators ...or were they?

o_O

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Trying to figure the correct parts from nothing to work with made me want to bang my head !
No build sheet and an obviously too small/incorrect radiator that was ZIP TIED to the core support, sitting on green GARDEN HOSE was all I had to start from.

o_O

Radiators sure can piss a guy off, in my experience, which is plenty. Metal health will drive you mad. ESPECIALLY if you're buying them from eBay. Returning radiators to eBay SUCKS! I eventually gave up and made O'Reilly's order the one I wanted.
I had to put a new radiator in the Blazer already. I'm out a LOT of money in radiators THIS YEAR. Blech! :mad: And thennn I even put one in my dad's car last summer.

I still don't know where to ground one though. If old boy ain't messin around he shouldn't be using tap water.

Last edited:

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I'm going to make sure and ground my aluminum radiator...hurr durrr :console:

Definately need radiator bushings of some kind. I have seen pieces of garden hose used before. I know a guy that trimmed his radiator hoses/heater hoses and used that with great sucess.

I went ROUND AND ROUND with my C20 and turns out it had the "heavy duty cooling" option and the radiator was much larger than other, more standard sizes.
Did you know there are four different radiator supports for square body trucks?

I don't think Ratt was talking about radiators ...or were they?

o_O

Trying to figure the correct parts with nothing to work with made me want to bang my head !
No build sheet and an obviously too small/incorrect radiator that was ZIP TIED to the core support, sitting on green GARDEN HOSE was all I had to work with.

o_O

Radiators sure can piss a guy off, in my experience, which is plenty. ESPECIALLY if you're buying them from eBay.
I had to put a new radiator in the Blazer already. I'm out a LOT of money in radiators THIS YEAR. Blech! :mad: I even put one in my dad's car this summer.

I still don't know where to ground one though. If old boy ain't messin around he shouldn't be using tap water.

Is radiator grounds anything like coffee grounds?? :Caffeine:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1