Inaccurate fuel level reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
My fuel gauge reads a little over 1/4 of a tank of fuel when full. The truck has dual tanks and the gauge reads the same way on either tank. Because of that fact, I'm thinking the gauge is the problem. However, I wanted to check with folks in the know if anyone has experienced this as it could possibly be a ground issue at the gauge or sending units. Any ideas on how to get a full reading on the gauge?

Thanks

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Does it only read between Empty and 1/4 full? If so, i'd take a look at the gauge. If I remember correctly, it will max out if it has an open circuit.

mavtricks71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I put 2 Spectra Fuel sending units in my 86 K10 truck they are very good....might be sending unit getting old

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I second the gauge. But yeah, Spectra seems to make a solid product. I've got 16,000 miles on sender that I installed, and it's done just fine.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yes, gauge only reads between empty and 1/4. Both sides. Going to get a new gauge. Btw... could it be the printed circuit behind the gauges somehow? I'll surely find out when the gauge is removed I suppose.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It could be. We had issues with ours because of oxide buildup where the contact clip met the circuit board. Did you try disconnecting and grounding one of the sender leads to see if the gauge will go to max and min? Could save you pulling the cluster apart.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Blue Ox, I will try that. Thanks. I assume that is at the gauge itself?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I was thinking at a tank sender or somewhere else you can access the lead like the connector on the selector valve.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
My fuel gauge reads a little over 1/4 of a tank of fuel when full. The truck has dual tanks and the gauge reads the same way on either tank. Because of that fact, I'm thinking the gauge is the problem. However, I wanted to check with folks in the know if anyone has experienced this as it could possibly be a ground issue at the gauge or sending units. Any ideas on how to get a full reading on the gauge?

Thanks
I have the large fuel gauge out of my '86 that you can have for the cost of postage. Worked fine when I pulled it. I did so to install the tach/fuel gauge that I got my GM Sports.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I put 2 Spectra Fuel sending units in my 86 K10 truck they are very good....might be sending unit getting old

I was wondering about these sending units. I am about to convert my truck to in tank pumps and was looking at the spectra sending units for the 87 tanks. They aren't too expensive but I was wanting to hear what someone who bought them thought. Guess I will give them a shot.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Norwester, Thanks but I have already ordered a new gauge. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128