I'm Worried My Frame Is Damaged - Please Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
How far do you need to move the bumper bracket?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That's what I'm wondering I be drilling new holes and calling it good. But that's me and I don't restore for Concourse events.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
+1 on just making new holes and maybe hit up the area with a grinding wheel/paint

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Alright. So I measured how far the outer bracket would need to come out to be even with the other one, and it's an inch and a half. I think I could finagle the inner one to match because it is mildly adjustable. I think that'll work. I need to pull the bracket to see if there's damage in that particular spot, but I think I can mitigate it if there's any.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I see the outer bracket has a slotted hole where it bolts to the bumper. Are you sure that bracket isn't bent and couldn't be pulled up to the bumper? I wouldn't be too concerned with getting the brackets all lined up before installing the bumper. It is my worthless opinion that you should loosely assemble the bumper and all the brackets ant try to get the bumper as square to the body as you can with the inner brackets. Then see if the outer brackets will pull up to it. From what was said about the hitch, how bent it is and the fact it was bolted to the truck it sounds like pulling things up to position is how it was put back together before. Apparently well enough that you didn't notice until you took it apart. For the record both ends of my 03 Burb are crunched and in order to get it to look right I did a lot of pushing and pulling of the bumpers and the hitch.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I see the outer bracket has a slotted hole where it bolts to the bumper. Are you sure that bracket isn't bent and couldn't be pulled up to the bumper? I wouldn't be too concerned with getting the brackets all lined up before installing the bumper. It is my worthless opinion that you should loosely assemble the bumper and all the brackets ant try to get the bumper as square to the body as you can with the inner brackets. Then see if the outer brackets will pull up to it. From what was said about the hitch, how bent it is and the fact it was bolted to the truck it sounds like pulling things up to position is how it was put back together before. Apparently well enough that you didn't notice until you took it apart. For the record both ends of my 03 Burb are crunched and in order to get it to look right I did a lot of pushing and pulling of the bumpers and the hitch.
That's how I did my K5 bumper on my truck. Got the bumper whet o wanted it and built inward. Because at the end of the day all your gonna see is how well the bumper matches up with the body. No need to over think it. Lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I seem to recall someone telling me that when they used to restore the old Corvettes, they'd bolt the bumpers up first, and line everything else up with those.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Finally getting back to this after loosing all brake pressure in my daily and doing a complete brake job and flush. You guys are right about setting the bumper up and moving the brackets to fit. I've done some extensive measuring. My passenger side brackets appear to be correct, and that's what I'm using as a frame of reference. My inner driver bracket needs to move rearward about a half inch so I'm gonna space it with a nut on each bolt. With that done, I should have three fairly accurate mounting points for the bumper. The outer driver bracket that needs to move rearward somewhat more can fit into the bumper's position instead of trying to make the bumper fit to what could be another incorrect position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8