Ignition HELP! [solved]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I need a few more. We ended up stabbing the dist at 12 ish degrees BTDC. And we couldn't adjust the dist anymore. And I'm not going to **** with it anymore. It runs. So as much as it was my fault, I don't know why the timing is so far off. This just needs to last till an LSx or Duramax swap.
Jump your wires one spot in the direction you need and adjust accordingly.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Jump your wires one spot in the direction you need and adjust accordingly.

Haha. Every time we tried to do this, it wouldn't start. Both of us are new school guys though. I mean, we know about small blocks with carbs but never worked on them. We are FI guys. I mean, I was 3 when my truck was built. The first real cars I worked on were throttle body and LT-1 engines. Computers do all the work, haha. Give me SFI any day of the week.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Haha. Every time we tried to do this, it wouldn't start. Both of us are new school guys though. I mean, we know about small blocks with carbs but never worked on them. We are FI guys. I mean, I was 3 when my truck was built. The first real cars I worked on were throttle body and LT-1 engines. Computers do all the work, haha. Give me SFI any day of the week.
But the wires and distributor still go in the same place, lol.. :D You like all this electronic **** do ya, well I can send ya a pile off Big Red Turd if ya want..:happy175::happy175:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
But the wires and distributor still go in the same place, lol.. :D You like all this electronic **** do ya, well I can send ya a pile off Big Red Turd if ya want..:happy175::happy175:
No wonder big red torments you.......:hmm:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
:beatdeadhorse5:The big red turd is getting smeared on other threads too now. Oh,my.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
:beatdeadhorse5:The big red turd is getting smeared on other threads too now. Oh,my.
I love the dead horse smiley. Once you get old and crotchety like some people you have to look for new **** to complain about.....maybe in 20 years I will be the same way........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Seeee, you newer school guys have to have it the easy way out. Letting the Cam and Crank sensors do all the work.

My brother was the same way. He rebuilt is 4.6 POS Mustang motor, TWICE I might add cuz he didn't listen to me and had a rod knock in the first 100 miles. The engine needed rebuilt cuz he changed his oil and didn't make sure the oil filter gasket came off with the old filter and doubled up the gasket to where one gasket rolled in and it spewed all the oil out and he seized his engine within 4 miles of a new oil change. IDIOT !!! So he did that build. A few years later he bought a used long block 350 from me to put in his El Camino. He fuct with it for 2 days trying to get it to start before I finally went over, pulled the dizzy and brought it up on TDC and stabbed the dizzy. THEN it started after 2 revolutions of the starter. From then on, he's said, 'NOMORE non computer carbed cars for me. Computer Controlled FI or nothing. To me it's funny as hell. You hear the old guys saying, F that computer BS, I'm pulling it out, then some guys won't have a car without it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I love the dead horse smiley. Once you get old and crotchety like some people you have to look for new **** to complain about.....maybe in 20 years I will be the same way........
You insinuating something there ****.. :rotflmao:

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Seeee, you newer school guys have to have it the easy way out. Letting the Cam and Crank sensors do all the work.

My brother was the same way. He rebuilt is 4.6 POS Mustang motor, TWICE I might add cuz he didn't listen to me and had a rod knock in the first 100 miles. The engine needed rebuilt cuz he changed his oil and didn't make sure the oil filter gasket came off with the old filter and doubled up the gasket to where one gasket rolled in and it spewed all the oil out and he seized his engine within 4 miles of a new oil change. IDIOT !!! So he did that build. A few years later he bought a used long block 350 from me to put in his El Camino. He fuct with it for 2 days trying to get it to start before I finally went over, pulled the dizzy and brought it up on TDC and stabbed the dizzy. THEN it started after 2 revolutions of the starter. From then on, he's said, 'NOMORE non computer carbed cars for me. Computer Controlled FI or nothing. To me it's funny as hell. You hear the old guys saying, F that computer BS, I'm pulling it out, then some guys won't have a car without it.

Its not that I wouldnt. I mean, its nice not to have computers to worry about. When it wouldnt start last night, my buddy and I both were like... well, its something simple b/c there are no f'ing computers. That is the nice thing. And I guess its a little harder for us b/c we didnt really grow up or professionally work on these types of engines. I mean, it really brings you back to the basic principle of how things work. Like how we found how the battery to starter wire isnt the best. If it werent for the ghetto rigged radio, and me pulling the battery cable off last week, I wouldnt have known that radio comes on when it looses power. Between that and well, it acted like it wasnt getting enough power to kick the start motor over, there could only be one of two issues. Its either the battery or the cable to the starter... thats it. No stupid control models to tell the car to start or charge or anything. Although my volt gauge was showing 13 volts.

Although a pain in my ass, it was kind of a humbling experience. Being so deep in FI, you kinda forget where you came from.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its not that I wouldnt. I mean, its nice not to have computers to worry about. When it wouldnt start last night, my buddy and I both were like... well, its something simple b/c there are no f'ing computers. That is the nice thing. And I guess its a little harder for us b/c we didnt really grow up or professionally work on these types of engines. I mean, it really brings you back to the basic principle of how things work. Like how we found how the battery to starter wire isnt the best. If it werent for the ghetto rigged radio, and me pulling the battery cable off last week, I wouldnt have known that radio comes on when it looses power. Between that and well, it acted like it wasnt getting enough power to kick the start motor over, there could only be one of two issues. Its either the battery or the cable to the starter... thats it. No stupid control models to tell the car to start or charge or anything. Although my volt gauge was showing 13 volts.

Although a pain in my ass, it was kind of a humbling experience. Being so deep in FI, you kinda forget where you came from.
You pretty much nailed all the high points here, about growing up and going back to the basic principles of operation. I'm just a strange **** I guess. I like both. I love simplicity of the old, and the technology and efficientcy of the new.

Where I kind of get where I don't like, but I'd still do it, is the ones that are computer controlled and old school. Like a Feedback Carb and a distributor so you still have the ECM. It's like **** or get off the pot. Either give me the simplicity, or give me all the technology with MultiPort Fuel Injection and no distributor. IMO, TBI is nothing more than a glorified carb set up. However, I'd still run it all day long. Doesn't make a ton of power, but it's proven to be a good reliable run forever system with minor maintenance and easy starts even in cold weather. The OBD1 TBI systems is what I consider the transition period, bringing the simple into the technological. But yep, I've seen guys who can burn PROM chips, tune LS and Ford modular engines but someone rolls in with a 65 Chevy pick up with an OEM 327 and Granny 4 speed and they totally lose their **** lost out in outer space and stumped like a chump. :happy175:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Dad used to tell me an engine only needs fire and fuel to run. He left out the part about cam timing, ignition timing and all the things that can go wrong there, and all the different ways the fuel system can fail. If you can work on a non-CEL engine, diagnose without the luxury of being able to pull codes, tune ignition timing by ear and be able to hear when a cam lobe is wiped, you'll have skills that are always relevant.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Dad used to tell me an engine only needs fire and fuel to run. He left out the part about cam timing, ignition timing and all the things that can go wrong there, and all the different ways the fuel system can fail. If you can work on a non-CEL engine, diagnose without the luxury of being able to pull codes, tune ignition timing by ear and be able to hear when a cam lobe is wiped, you'll have skills that are always relevant.
So very true!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat