ignition cylinder lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I ended up finding the screw and ive got the steering all assembled. It did not fix the problem :eek:. When i turn the key and makes a little toot sound, like a really quiet horn. Its not a clicking sound. The starter is only about 8 months old. I may roll underneath and check connections to the starter, but i cant think of anything else.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Possibly the neutral safety switch....often overlooked, but they are plastic and fragile. A pain in the arese to replace as they are on top of the steering column by the lower firewall. If your starter is good, battery good, cables are clean and have good contact.....replace the switch, its a $14 part.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
IT ended up being the ignition switch on the column was far enough towards the firewall to be activated by the rod. Atleast i know a lot more about my steering column and switches now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IT ended up being the ignition switch on the column was far enough towards the firewall to be activated by the rod. Atleast i know a lot more about my steering column and switches now.
But you've got it fixed now right?

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Never heard one make a noise before.. Learn something new all the time... Glad you were able to get it fixed...

Last edited:

stuman

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There is an outfit in Wichita Kansas which rebuilds steering columns. I'm sure they can get any part. Look for a local to you steering column rebuilder...I know of one in Dallas Texas too, right there on I20 east.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128