Idle lowers in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
87 TBI with auto th400 tranny. I'm currently trying to get my truck running solid and a trying to figure out the cause of my idle issues. The one odd thing I've noticed is it idles great in park but once i put it in drive it drops quite a bit. Only does this when cold. Once its warmed up it does fine

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
All automatic equipped vehicles do that. If it’s excessive that’s a different story.

Reactions: vkh

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
All automatic equipped vehicles do that. If it’s excessive that’s a different story.

Hmm that’s what I’m trying to figure out, if it’s excessive... it barely stays running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hmm that’s what I’m trying to figure out, if it’s excessive... it barely stays running.

Do you have a tach?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Nope. That’s on the list though.

Ok because you could be able to tell us how many rpm it drops when put in gear. But check your vacuum lines for damage it could be a simple case of a weak engine mount that allows the engine to move and open up a hose and make it idle stupidly. Then closes up when there is no torque on the hose and mount.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'd check for vacuum leaks, as aforementioned, and if that doesn't lead somewhere I may also very gently clean the IACV pintle and make sure the idle air passages are clear of carbon when you look underneath the TBI and where the valve screws in. You may also want to clean the EGR valve pintle for good measure. If you had a scan tool, you could see how many steps the valve was at, which would be good to know. You could also try an IAC reset. What you want to do is jump the A and B terminals on the ALDL (the two top right ones), turn the key on, wait for thirty seconds, unplug the IACV connector, turn the key off, undo the jumper, and reconnect the valve connector. If you want to know more about the homemade scan tool, it was recently made a sticky in the TBI/EFI section, and it's by Georgeb.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I'd check for vacuum leaks, as aforementioned, and if that doesn't lead somewhere I may also very gently clean the IACV pintle and make sure the idle air passages are clear of carbon when you look underneath the TBI and where the valve screws in. You may also want to clean the EGR valve pintle for good measure. If you had a scan tool, you could see how many steps the valve was at, which would be good to know. You could also try an IAC reset. What you want to do is jump the A and B terminals on the ALDL (the two top right ones), turn the key on, wait for thirty seconds, unplug the IACV connector, turn the key off, undo the jumper, and reconnect the valve connector. If you want to know more about the homemade scan tool, it was recently made a sticky in the TBI/EFI section, and it's by Georgeb.

Awesome! Thank you for the help, I'll be trying that tomorrow morning

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Awesome! Thank you for the help, I'll be trying that tomorrow morning

Does the reset make the IAC freak out. Connected the terminals and turned the key on, the IAC just started clicking constantly until I unplugged it. Is that normal?

Finished the reset and the idle is still poop. It starts to surge then stumbles and dies. I have to hold the throttle until it warms up, then it holds.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes, that's normal. I wouldn't worry too much yet. You still need to check for vacuum leaks, and I'd pay close attention to the TBI base gasket and EGR valve. I'd use a baby can of starter fluid sprayed around the base gasket to see if your idle changes. The brake booster can also be a source of vacuum leakage, which is best tested with a Mityvac, but if you hear a loud whoosh when you step on the pedal, that's a good sign it's bad. Check all the lines, and if you suspect one or more vacuum components are giving you trouble, just plug it off at the TBI or manifold and see if the issue improves. While, it'd be prudent to make sure the EGR valve is working, I don't think it's gonna come into play when you first shift it into gear.

Tim K

Reaction score
First Name
tim
Truck Year
1987 GMC
Truck Model
V2500 Standard Cab, Long bed
Engine Size
350 TBI, TH400, NP208, Factory Locker 4.11
You need to check; Idle Air Control, Throttle Position sensor and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Get yourself a MityVac and a copy of the factory diagnostic manual. Both of these are very useful diagnosing issues on the TBI engines.

jleblanc06

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You need to check; Idle Air Control, Throttle Position sensor and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Get yourself a MityVac and a copy of the factory diagnostic manual. Both of these are very useful diagnosing issues on the TBI engines.

Will do! i plan on getting the Mity Vac this weekend

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike