Hydraulic question - Cherry picker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I picked up a Big old cherry picker a while back, the price was right, but the hydraulic pump was gone. I am trying to find some type of pump to put on it and get it functioning again, but not having much luck. (Yeah, I know, the shop is a mess).
You must be registered for see images attach

This is what was left of the original pump, the rest was lost before I got it. It looks like it was about a 1 1/2" bore and about a 3" stroke.

Would something like this work? It looks kind of small, and I imagine I would have to pump the crap out of it to raise the boom, not to mention I don't think it would hold enough hydraulic oil. Could I uae an external reservoir with it?

My other option might be one of the pumps with the built in ram, but the ones I have looked at are about 12" long, and extend to about 23". I don't think I would get enough lift with one of those.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I bought a air/hydraulic ram for my old Carolina hoist and it works great. Nice to have a hand-held trigger on a long hose when hoisting an engine by myself. Can't see yours well enough to tell if this would directly bolt on but it wouldn't be hard to fab something up if you have access to a welder.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-long-ram-air-hydraulic-jack-94562.html

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Both Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have quite a selection of rams and cylinders.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought a air/hydraulic ram for my old Carolina hoist and it works great. Nice to have a hand-held trigger on a long hose when hoisting an engine by myself. Can't see yours well enough to tell if this would directly bolt on but it wouldn't be hard to fab something up if you have access to a welder.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ton-long-ram-air-hydraulic-jack-94562.html
Thanks Skysurfer, I didn't see that one, it looks like it will work. I guess I was searching more for a pump. I wonder if they stock them at my local store. The ones I have seen there were only about half that size. Fabbing up a new mount is no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl