How to remove the instrument cluster?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmcclane55

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I searched the whole internet high and low, so the problem must be me.

I have taken out the dash pad and removed the screws on the cluster tabs around the edges of the cluster. The cluster moves, but I it seems there's more that must be taken off. It's not going to easily slide out as-is, and I'm afraid to work it because it's 35 year old plastic.

Do I need to disconnect anything on the back side of it? Is there anything else that has to come off besides the dash pad?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The speedo cable will need to be disconnected.

You really just have to carefully slide the left side up about 1/2 and shift the cluster to the left and it will come out.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The IP is secured to the dash by just 4 screws:

You must be registered for see images attach

The only other things that need to be disconnected are the speedometer cable at the back of the speedometer head and the IP main wiring harness.

Also, if they exist, the shifter position indicator wire to the steering column, any extra lamp wiring (4WD, Check Engine, etc) and clock leads.

Once the mounting screws, main wiring harness and speedometer cable are released (the other stuff can be removed after the IP is partially pulled out - those wires usually have slack) the panel should be free.

I have pulled those IP's so many times, it is automatic. But if I recall, the trick is to push down on the top and then rock the upper edge out and towards you.

Last edited:

jmcclane55

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The IP is secured to the dash by just 4 screws:

The only other things that needs to be disconnected are the speedometer cable at the back of the speedometer head and the IP main wiring harness.

Also, if they exist, the shift indicator wire to the steering column, any extra lamp wiring (4WD, Check Engine, etc) and clock leads.

Once the mounting screws, main wiring harness and speedometer cable are released (the other stuff can be removed after the IP is partially pulled out - those wires usually have slack) the panel should be free.

I have pulled those IP's so many times, it is automatic. But if I recall, the trick is to push down on the top and then rock the upper edge out and towards you.

And you get to the wiring harness and speedo cable reaching up from underneath (by the brake pedal)?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
And you get to the wiring harness and speedo cable reaching up from underneath (by the brake pedal)?

Most people do it that way, but here's a little trick I learned in the Nam that makes it easier. If it were possible to withdraw the IP away from the dash, it would be wicked easy to access the harness and cable clips. You could just reach behind the IP and squeeze the clips to pop them off - and you could see what you were doing:

The limiting factor is the length of the speedometer cable where it runs from the firewall to the back of the speedometer head. If that were longer, the entire IP - with the cable and harness still hooked up - could be drawn into the cab and the back accessed. There is plenty of slack in the IP wiring harness and even more in the add-on wiring.

Go to the engine side of the firewall and soak the cable real good with WD-40 (or some other lube) and push it into the grommet. Work it back and forth a bit. It will soon slide in and out easily. Now when you go back into the cab to remove the IP bucket from the dash opening, the cable will follow along with it.

With the IP away from the dash - and the back side exposed - it is way easier to release the cable and wiring harness plug. Some images to help explain:

Also, when reconnecting the harness to the IP circuit board, be aware that the notches in the bucket are of two different sizes as are the tabs on the plug. The tabs on the harness plug fit only one way (i.e. the little one is on the top and the big one is down).

Last edited:

jblegg83

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I was just about to post this same question until I saw this thread. I pulled the dash pad off and was able to coax the instrument cluster out. I did have a random cable that is in the upper right portion of the rear of the IC that just seems to be a plastic cable. I traced it to where it clipped in above the ash tray. Any clue what this is?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I was just about to post this same question until I saw this thread. I pulled the dash pad off and was able to coax the instrument cluster out. I did have a random cable that is in the upper right portion of the rear of the IC that just seems to be a plastic cable. I traced it to where it clipped in above the ash tray. Any clue what this is?

Its a lil fiber optic ash tray light cable.

jblegg83

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Its a lil fiber optic ash tray light cable.

Thanks, that is kinda what I was thinking. Guess I never noticed it because the dash lights are so dim to start with.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Jesusfreak, great link! BTW, the world needs more "Jesus freaks!"

Latest posts