How much was your paint job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The wife wants to get the 88 suburban painted. It's solid white but has minor (very minor) surface rust and a decent amount of chips etc. There is only one dent above the back taillight. The paint is chalky and wipes off on your clothes when you lean against the truck.
I'm trying to get an idea of what an acceptable price range would be to have it re-done. I'm more on the mechanical side and get frustrated with body work so having a shop do this would ease a lot of pain :)
If anyone has had their suburban re-painted by a shop, or has a good idea of what range I should be expecting let me know. If you could also let me know some of the jargin and steps involved in the process that would help me when I go talk to these folks.

Thanks for the input. The link below has a few pictures if that helps.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5235&highlight=br@ndon

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I checked with about a dozen shops and was shocked how much paint and body work had gone up since the days of Earl Sheib's "I'll paint any car for just $29.95." Some wouldn't even give me a bid, they said it would take up too much time. I guess they like the bent-fender insurance claims that they can turn in a couple of days.

The shop with the best reputation in town wanted to take it all apart and paint everything including the door jambs and dash for $7500-$8000. I pointed out the fact that it was a twenty year old Chevy that was worth about half that on a good day.

Most of the other shops were in the $3000-5000 range for paint and minor body work. There were no visible dents, just typical waves in the panels that were visible if you really looked for them.

I ended up with a guy that understood I wanted a decent looking job but not a trailer queen. He cut me a break on the price when I agreed he could work on it when the shop was slow and at his pace, not mine. He had it about six weeks and did a two-tone exterior only, three coats of clear, and hand-painted pin stripes for $3300. I removed everything on the exterior except the door handles before dropping it off. He had to remove both of the big side windows to correct some rust under the seals.
A couple of months after it was done I noticed some bubbles on the p/s rear door. Took it back and he resprayed it at no cost.

You must be registered for see images attach

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
If your paint is going chalky, it might be either severely oxidized, or was just a cheap paint that is breaking down due to no UV protection in it. The paint on my Chevy was doing the same thing, and it would even rub off with lacquer thinner.

I painted my truck with three coats of Tremclad (Canadian Rustoleum equivalent) and a roller. Total cost: $60 CDN. I did not thin, and I did not wet-sand. There is enough orange peel to cause cancer sores, but...

1) It's a truck - I use it as a truck

2) It will continue to rust - it's easy enough to touch up with another quart of paint and a roller (sounds like father-and-son time)

3) The heavy orange peel and not-really-glossy appearance hides the bodywork imperfections

4) Rock chips, door dings, parking lots, and wear and tear no longer scare or worry me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Click the pic to biggie size it

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me. It also felt really, really, wrong while I was doing it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The shop with the best reputation in town wanted to take it all apart and paint everything including the door jambs and dash for $7500-$8000. I pointed out the fact that it was a twenty year old Chevy that was worth about half that on a good day

I'd give you $3750 in a heartbeat, if only I were closer and it was for sale!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Yeah well, that's a nice offer but HotRod put dibs on it a long time ago. :)

BR@NDON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Surburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for the replies guys. You have a nice looking burb skysurfer

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You might be able to rub the paint out, then, give it several coats of a good vehicular car paste wax to keep it from oxidizing any farther too, if the paint has`nt oxidized too deep.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
The shop with the best reputation in town wanted to take it all apart and paint everything including the door jambs and dash for $7500-$8000. I pointed out the fact that it was a twenty year old Chevy that was worth about half that on a good day

I'd give you $3750 in a heartbeat, if only I were closer and it was for sale!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kttrucks

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Paintjobs are expensive because paint and time is expensive. I paid just under $1800.00 for paint and primer for my 85 SWB and I didn't get a major brand. I used Matrix which is a PPG copy but looks great.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Paintjobs are expensive because paint and time is expensive. I paid just under $1800.00 for paint and primer for my 85 SWB and I didn't get a major brand. I used Matrix which is a PPG copy but looks great.
Umm pics?????

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think I might have 100 bucks in mine.....rattle can bedliner paint. Lol