How much epoxy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
How much epoxy primer to cover a square body with a 8 ft bed? Just wondering if a qt, mixes 1 to 1, so that'd end up a 1/2 gallon. I want to seal it good and wait until spring to paint it. Never sprayed epoxy before, but it'll be a flat white going over high build gray. Won't be spraying the inside of the bed.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
get a gallon. I used a gallon to do an s10 short bed. only things I did extra was the backside of the doors, and jambs, along with backsides of the fenders and underhood bottom side. Mines was the same 1 to 1. They want you to lay down like 2-3 coats min.

I also would not recomend you doing it this way, that crap is hard to sand. I bought the summit brand, they say easy to sand with no sand paper clogging, well BS it gummed my paper up huge and was a realy pain to sand. I went thru tons of paper trying to get it done. I waited weeks before sanding so I know it was dry. You can do it and it'll work but it's not fun

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've heard complaints about Summit's doing that and also not curing properly. I've never sprayed nit so I can't say. The high build I'm using is like concrete if you leave it a couple days. I hate sanding. Wish I could afford having it done. I like doing everything myself, except body work.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I never had any problems with mine curring I used it several times. I did my s10 doors and fenders, then weeks later did the cab, then weeks later the bed, then weeks later the hood bumper and wiper cowl. I've used all summit primers, their surfacer, HS primer and epoxy, now I have their sealer to go down before I paint.

Old barn auto

Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I am familiar with painting so I can tell you to not to put the epoxy over that high build because epoxy is really not meant to be sanded, it will gum up your paper terribly. Here is just a suggestion, try taking some high build and thin or reduce more than normal, this will make it more like a sealer you will have to be careful not to make it run " thin coats" you could also try mixing in a little base to the high build, all these things will help keep it sealed let me know how you make out.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I figured he had some bare metal he wanted to keep protected or something

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No bare metal. I've been told before how epoxy will hold up. Like I said, never used it, glad I asked. I'll do like you say with the high build. Going to have to swap engines now when I get time, rest of body work will come later. Thanks for the info, well appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes