How many gallons can you put in your gas tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Interesting thread.

I have a different approach I'll throw out there for anyone interested. After the EFI swap, I needed to change the fuel supply system. However, the key ingredient in my system is the Dakota Digital (DD) gauges.
I put in new Spectra 20 gallon tanks (dual tanks) for an 87. New Spectra sending units for an 87. AC Delco EPI 381 pumps. With both tanks completely dry, I used the calibrate feature of the DD to set the fuel level on the gauge to the amount of fuel in the tanks. I poured in exactly 5 gallons and set it to the 1/4 tank mark. Added another 5 gallons and set to 1/2 mark. Repeat for 3/4 & full. Then I continued to fill each tank a gallon at a time until it ran out the neck. Both sides were an additional 3 gallons.

I know exactly how much fuel is in each tank at any time. Better yet, the DD allow you to add a low fuel warning light. I set the warning to come on when the tank level reaches 10%. It's a beautiful setup. It also comes in handy for tracking engine hours and lets you set oil change reminders. It's like the best of everything. And we all drank beer and learned things.
Yeah my LS swap 2nd gen trans am has dakota digitals and they are amazing. I havent made it to the interior updates on this truck yet as it ended up being a complete frame off restoration. But ill probably end up doing DD again. I just have a single aeromotive tank at the moment.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Interesting thread.

I have a different approach I'll throw out there for anyone interested. After the EFI swap, I needed to change the fuel supply system. However, the key ingredient in my system is the Dakota Digital (DD) gauges.
I put in new Spectra 20 gallon tanks (dual tanks) for an 87. New Spectra sending units for an 87. AC Delco EPI 381 pumps. With both tanks completely dry, I used the calibrate feature of the DD to set the fuel level on the gauge to the amount of fuel in the tanks. I poured in exactly 5 gallons and set it to the 1/4 tank mark. Added another 5 gallons and set to 1/2 mark. Repeat for 3/4 & full. Then I continued to fill each tank a gallon at a time until it ran out the neck. Both sides were an additional 3 gallons.

I know exactly how much fuel is in each tank at any time. Better yet, the DD allow you to add a low fuel warning light. I set the warning to come on when the tank level reaches 10%. It's a beautiful setup. It also comes in handy for tracking engine hours and lets you set oil change reminders. It's like the best of everything. And we all drank beer and learned things.
The Dakotas are worth every penny. I tell people all the time, forget the cost and just do it. Hands down one of my favorite things about my swap

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sadly just a 20gal for my EFI conversion. Somehow i need to get more fuel capacity as this will become my overlanding vehicle. Not sure if i want to do a dual tank setup and move my remote battery mount or do some type of backup tank in the bed.
You could do the smaller blazer tank in back vs second saddle tank. Won’t hang as low as a suburban tank. Or a toolbox tank in the bed if that’s not in the way of the stuff in the bed. They do make them rated for gasoline. (Certified and with baffles).

hwyix

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
6L
My left tank the gas gauge works. On my right tank it reads full even after driving 100 miles. after that I get nervous and just fill up both tanks again.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
I ran out of gas right in front of the gas station lol. After that i was able to pump just over 12 gallons. One tank only, left side. 84 c20 3+3. Had two tanks, has only had one for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe