Hooker "Header Back" Kit Install...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Hey all...I've got a relatively dumb/embarrassing question here but I recently purchased a new exhaust kit for my 78 C15 but I'm having issues with fitment. I also just installed new Hooker Comp. headers to match. I have the drivers side most all mocked up but for the RH side the pipe going to the collector doesn't have the same bends. One is straight that mates up to the header, the other is almost a direct drop down from where it mounts to the collector flange...With that said, and I snug it up, no matter which way I spin this pipe it doesn't line up for :dancingpoop: There's no way to go above the crossmember, and the headers come out just below the crossmember so why is one pipe straight when they can both run straight below the crossmember with no issue? If I rotate this pipe down or sideways the muffler inlet is going to sit way way too low. Is it as simple as swapping the pipes from side to side or am I missing something?

Hooker p/n is 16523HKR
Truck is a 1978 Sierra Classic, short box, 2wd.

Anyone install this kit and run into these issues?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I installed that kit years ago, but with Hedman headers. I had to hack off the front flanges, but it worked great since the Hedman's used ball style flanges.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I installed that kit years ago, but with Hedman headers. I had to hack off the front flanges, but it worked great since the Hedman's used ball style flanges.
That's my last option. Just not understanding why one is a straight section coming out of the header, the other has a drop down. Throws the symmetry all off too.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I was looking at the instructions and pic of the kit on the Holley site and all the parts look symmetrical except for the pieces over the axle. (Ones longer than the other) I really don't know what to tell ya, could they have given you the wrong pipe?

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I was looking at the instructions and pic of the kit on the Holley site and all the parts look symmetrical except for the pieces over the axle. (Ones longer than the other) I really don't know what to tell ya, could they have given you the wrong pipe?
That's what I'm wondering... I'm going to double check the part number when I get home tonight and make sure its right. The instruction page has the right model years but that doesn't necessarily mean the pipes in it are correct. I've already mocked up the other side so if it's wrong hopefully they can just send one mid pipe instead of having me uninstall and send back the whole thing.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I can cut the drop down off and mock it up that way but I expect a bolt on kit to be just that. Otherwise I would have just drove it to an exhaust shop and have them bend up some new pipes :banghead:

I'll spend more time on it tonight. Maybe I'm overlooking something but I think it was bent so that the drop faces down because the other end bends back up to go to the muffler. But when you do that it hangs way way low compared to the other side that is pretty much parallel with the frame rail.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Looking through more and more photos online I'm wondering if I have the straight section on the wrong side. Been seeing a handful of pipes with a similar bend to the header on the drivers side. ...

Stay tuned

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One thing to note, it's a kit that's been around for a long time. Before exact fit exhaust kits were a common item. I'd just consider it an exhaust kit for a diy-er that wants to avoid going to an exhaust shop.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Here's some quick pics I took tonight. Pardon the dirty shop... it's turned into a woodshop here lately. I moved the "drop down" pipe to the drivers side but there's no good way to bolt this up no matter how I spin it. I can rotate it so the drop down is horizontal but then the pipe is still hanging too low and awfully close to the driveshaft. Turn it down and its even worse.

Looking at my original box it has a sticker on it saying "reboxed"... I'm starting to think I've got the wrong pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I’d say you’re probably right. My kit had three long pipes. Two exactly the same with the third looking like the one you’re struggling with.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I think it on the right side (Driver side) but you have to go over the trans crossmember. Here's a set of instructions for a set of flowtech pipes from holly, it's for a 4x4 but it shows going over the crossmember.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/51525/10002/-1
Check out the link and look under instructions you'll see the driver side pipe has that double kick up bends.
that's all I got.....

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I’d say you’re probably right. My kit had three long pipes. Two exactly the same with the third looking like the one you’re struggling with.

I think it on the right side (Driver side) but you have to go over the trans crossmember. Here's a set of instructions for a set of flowtech pipes from holly, it's for a 4x4 but it shows going over the crossmember.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/51525/10002/-1
Check out the link and look under instructions you'll see the driver side pipe has that double kick up bends.
that's all I got.....

Weird. I wonder if it is supposed to be used for the 4WD trucks. I contacted Holley (ie Hooker) and let them know what was going on and sent them these pictures and they confirmed it is the incorrect pipe. Now I just need to go through the vendor I bought it from to get either a replacement or a completely new kit.

There's no way the pipe was going to fit over the crossmember, I tried 6 ways to Sunday. The straight section of the pipe fits perfect right under it however.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Just a quick update to put this thread to bed, Hooker drop shipped the correct pipe after going through the proper channels through the vendor I bought them from.

Frustrating when this happens but both the vendor and manufacturer customer service was top notch so can't complain about that. Pipes are installed and once my interior is back together it's time to drive!

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
It's nice when it all works out.

TheScaryOne

Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Truck Year
Multiple
Truck Model
C20, C30, K1500
Engine Size
350's and a 454
Sorry to rez an old thread, but I bought this kit from about a week after this thread was started and am having this same issue when trying to install the kit on the truck today! They're sending me a full replacement kit that I hope is boxed correctly, but I guess I could just snag the one pipe I need out of it? I couldn't get in contact with anyone at Holley because it's the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL