Hood latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Curious if there is a way to get rid of the cable hood latch in my 82 GMC and just have the reach through the grill type to open the hood. Also curious how one would open the hood if that cable was to break? Don't think it would be easy.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Pretty sure you'd have to swap all the pieces from an earlier model. But radiator supports being different may make it a no go unless you want to fab something up.

I usually hear people going the other way and looking to swap to the inside release because of theft or whatnot. Just curious, why the other way?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You'd have to do a bunch of cutting, fabbing and engineering to accomplish your goal. The '81-up setup was designed around that cable latch that GM started using in a lot of products.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Well yours is 42 years old so it's made it this far lol.

You want to delete the pull from inside the cab and make it more race car. Any reason why?

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I made a lever with a cable attached to the mechanism for my k5. Mounted to the radiator core support. I made a rough sketch as I don't have a picture. You could also use a wire with a loop or ring to pull on.
You must be registered for see images attach

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Pretty sure you'd have to swap all the pieces from an earlier model. But radiator supports being different may make it a no go unless you want to fab something up.

I usually hear people going the other way and looking to swap to the inside release because of theft or whatnot. Just curious, why the other way?
I spend a lot of time up in the mountains and can only carry so many tools. Just the fear of it breaking and not being able to get under the hood. So if it did, how hard is it to get the hood open?

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
Well yours is 42 years old so it's made it this far lol.

You want to delete the pull from inside the cab and make it more race car. Any reason why?
Well, you are correct, it has survived.
I spend a lot of time up in the mountains and can only carry so many tools. Just the fear of it breaking and not being able to get under the hood. So if it did, how hard is it to get the hood open?

RamblinGMC

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
I made a lever with a cable attached to the mechanism for my k5. Mounted to the radiator core support. I made a rough sketch as I don't have a picture. You could also use a wire with a loop or ring to pull on.
Great idea!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, you are correct, it has survived.
Considering a whole new hood latch cable assembly is $21.99-33.99, if I wanted peace of mind I may just buy a new cable assembly and be done with it.
Seems like the cheap and easy route.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
^What Todd said. I put a fresh one in mine last year, the original was finally starting to fray. I'd just do that, put a fresh one in, lube the latch real good and not worry about it after that. It's not exactly a common failure if the cable and latch are in good shape.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
This is what we had in the assembly plant.

Like a slim jim, only horizontal.

They used them if a cable broke, was not hooked up originally, or the hood fitter used them so he could repeatedly open and close the hood without having to walk around to the door.

K

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
There is a ut video from a guy showing how to get it open if your cable breaks. Ask me how I know. He used a piece of stiff wire. I made my own and it worked.

Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
This is what we had in the assembly plant.

Like a slim jim, only horizontal.

They used them if a cable broke, was not hooked up originally, or the hood fitter used them so he could repeatedly open and close the hood without having to walk around to the door.

K
Ive got a 74 with a stuck hood. Any idea on where to start to free this thing up. I getting angry lol

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Curious if there is a way to get rid of the cable hood latch in my 82 GMC and just have the reach through the grill type to open the hood. Also curious how one would open the hood if that cable was to break? Don't think it would be easy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe