Hood braces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Howdy,
just picked up a 74 C20 Super Custom and the passenger side of my hood is showing signs of the classic "square body buckle". Who uses hood braces? Got recommendations? Lmc has some for 20 bucks and I'm not against being cheap.
Thanks, Bryan

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_225606_611.jpg
    IMG_20170522_225606_611.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 580

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

I've never used them myself I just keep the hinges lubricated..

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Cheap insurance for $20. Replacet hoods are expensive...plus paint too. If it were me...I would install a pair.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My first Blazer ('78) had them installed by the previous owner. In talking to a guy that used to own a Chevy dealership back then they said it can be a bad idea. The hood was designed to buckle there if you get in an accident. If you keep it well lubed then you won't try to do a pull up when you close the hood- and that is what bends the hood.
That being said once it starts not sure what you can do.
My dad's truck ('79 GMC) had a metal "rhino horn" sticking out from the firewall and goes up into the hood. Supposedly this was supposed to help grab the hood and make sure the hood doesn't tear away from the hinges and slice thru the windshield and you.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I've been thinking about this lately.

Every hood I've ever seen 73-80 is buckled, at least a little. What Im thinking of doing is bending it back straight carefully using some weight (probably my foot lol) and some blocks of wood. Either way- carefully and getting it straight.

Then flipping it over and adding bend sheetmetal and welding it in where the reliefs are. Basically making the braces integral to the hood and finish it all off so it doesn't look so botched with sheet metal screwed on braces.

I think this would go a long way. You could over double the section modulus by doing this, making the hood much stronger.

As I plan to lift my truck, I don't expect to have issues with the hood being part of a front end accident. Besides, those hefty bolts at the cowl will grab the hood as well.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

I've never used them myself I just keep the hinges lubricated..

No worries. They are well lubed but if you dont push and pull down the left starts to buckle. Hitting the junk yard today for some fun, if i see some ill snag them. Otherwise ill buy new.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
I've been thinking about this lately.

Every hood I've ever seen 73-80 is buckled, at least a little. What Im thinking of doing is bending it back straight carefully using some weight (probably my foot lol) and some blocks of wood. Either way- carefully and getting it straight.

Then flipping it over and adding bend sheetmetal and welding it in where the reliefs are. Basically making the braces integral to the hood and finish it all off so it doesn't look so botched with sheet metal screwed on braces.

I think this would go a long way. You could over double the section modulus by doing this, making the hood much stronger.

As I plan to lift my truck, I don't expect to have issues with the hood being part of a front end accident. Besides, those hefty bolts at the cowl will grab the hood as well.

I was thinking the same about making my own. Just wanted a few opinions before i got to far into the project.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Cheap insurance for $20. Replacet hoods are expensive...plus paint too. If it were me...I would install a pair.

Agreed. Everything on this truck is orignal aside from the tailgate. Decent enough paint too. Just curious if others made their own or bought some.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

Not all trucks have those hefty bolts. My truck has absolutely nothing on the cowl/firewall.

It sounds like some trucks got them- others did't.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No worries. They are well lubed but if you dont push and pull down the left starts to buckle. Hitting the junk yard today for some fun, if i see some ill snag them. Otherwise ill buy new.
Well, that's the way you're supposed to close them,lol, I can close both of mine with one hand. Anyhow, I think there's a set on my donor, I'll check Thursday when I get home and see what kind of shape they're in, if they're good you can have them..

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Well, that's the way you're supposed to close them,lol, I can close both of mine with one hand. Anyhow, I think there's a set on my donor, I'll check Thursday when I get home and see what kind of shape they're in, if they're good you can have them..

Well I'm only 5'7" so I cant get great leverage. That would be awesome! The yard i went to had a 76 gmc but it was pretty well stripped. On the hunt for a 74 gmc tailgate now.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well I'm only 5'7" so I cant get great leverage. That would be awesome! The yard i went to had a 76 gmc but it was pretty well stripped. On the hunt for a 74 gmc tailgate now.

Even with that dent, this is a good deal for no rust. You could probably offer forty and take it home. I know it's far but figured I'd share anyways.

https://cenla.craigslist.org/pts/6100335265.html

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, just got home so I'll take a look in the morning...

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Not all trucks have those hefty bolts. My truck has absolutely nothing on the cowl/firewall.

It sounds like some trucks got them- others did't.

my '76 and 77' crews have them. weird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg