hillbilly dual tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
2. you could buy a regular opposite side tank and use an external pump to pump it over to your main tank, it would just never get it completely empty and it would be best to do while your sitting still or on the highway I imagine.

3. the bulkhead fitting is probably the best way, but run a tube from it down to the bottom of the tank. Just dumping fuel into the top and letting it fall will airate the fuel and could cause damage to your in tank high pressure pump.

4. on the sending units the difference is location. FG05M is dr side FG05N is passenger. I feel like I've said this several times now lol... FG05K is for a 25 gal suburban/blazer tank.

I’ll get a sender for the secondary side too. I want To run a lower amperage pump in the secondary tank.

Are you suggesting pumping through the middle vent fitting on the sending unit/bulkhead on the primary tank?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I’ll get a sender for the secondary side too. I want To run a lower amperage pump in the secondary tank.

Are you suggesting pumping through the middle vent fitting on the sending unit/bulkhead on the primary tank?

No you cant do that. It has a check/rollover valve in it an it doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. You can get the earlier mentioned bulkhead fitting and a piece of hard line to run from it to the bottom of the tank. There are instructions on how to do it in the Sniper instruction manual.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
No you cant do that. It has a check/rollover valve in it an it doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. You can get the earlier mentioned bulkhead fitting and a piece of hard line to run from it to the bottom of the tank. There are instructions on how to do it in the Sniper instruction manual.
gotcha, i thought plumbing through the vent sounded weird. thanks for clarifying.

…now if my parts would all just get here already…

You must be registered for see images attach

i pulled the truck around to the front and squirted all the horse **** and alfalfa out of the bed in anticipation. i'm going to start pulling the 327 when my new garage is finished being framed. my old 20x28' garage is cluttered with materials for the new shop.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've never been so crammed in my life…first world problems, boohooooo

stuman

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've tee'd into the filler neck's "vent line" before and ran a secondary fuel tank with a transfer pump. Did it with my 84 K5...actually had a 55 gallon plastic barrel in the back I'd fill with about 45 gallons of gas. Had it vented and everything. Funny story about filling it. Was driving from SE Kansas to Denver. Stopped at a little gas station to prepay. Handed her a $100 bill. She said "I may not have change". I said "You won't need any".

mikedgarage

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I have an '87 3/4 ton. When I bought my truck both tanks were rusted through. I replaced the driver side tank and set it up as a single tank truck, eliminating the solenoid and extra wiring. Later, I got a second tank and put it on the drivers side. I bought a cheap external pump from the parts store and pumped from the new tank to the return line from the throttle body. The pump I bought has a check valve to keep fuel from flowing back into the Passenger side tank. I used the original tank change switch to power the new pump and I got a aftermarket tank level indicator for the new tank that is on when the ignition is on. I only transfer fuel with the truck not running but with the key in the on position so I can see both gauges.

The only thing I'd do different is reverse the tanks so the I always fueled up on the drivers side, not the passenger side. It just feels more American.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going with a oem '87 pump in the backup tank.

The only thing I'd do different is reverse the tanks so the I always fueled up on the drivers side, not the passenger side. It just feels more American.

It is convenient, but I'll be filling them both anyway. So it's nice now that Costco pumps will reach both sides without reparking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1