hillbilly dual tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Like in a AN-6 or AN-8. Not a AN-64 or whatever the heck that looks like now. Geeze....

i ordered all 3/8 stainless fuel line, so whatever the equivalent is. i figure i'll get as much done with the rigid lines, flaring tool and nuts, then make a list of flexible stuff and fittings and buy that locally. i live a little over an hour from a pretty big speed shop.

what's a high quality flex line thats not like $100/foot?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i ordered all 3/8 stainless fuel line, so whatever the equivalent is. i figure i'll get as much done with the rigid lines, flaring tool and nuts, then make a list of flexible stuff and fittings and buy that locally. i live a little over an hour from a pretty big speed shop.

what's a high quality flex line thats not like $100/foot?
Yeah, the speed shop is the way to go so you don't have to buy a whole 20' roll of stainless braided fuel line at Jegs for 75.00. If they're gonna try to get 10 bucks a foot, or something stupid, you may want to just get a roll. You can use the extra on your Yugo or some other project later....
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/100914/10002/-1

Easy way to remember the AN sizes....
Just remember AN-8 is 1/2". Then do it like fractions. (AN-) 8/16= 1/2 after you reduce it down. SO, (AN-) 6/16= 3/8. If you can remember that AN-8 is 1/2, then you can figure out the you need 16 as the denominator. Cake, or did I totally confuse you??? Lol. I don't know, the sh*t makes sense to me.... QUIZ TIME! So what size is AN-5? Haha. *KEY POINT HERE* AN sizes are for the outside measurement. If you require a line to flow inside, at least like a normal 3/8" hose, then you need to step it up your fittings and hose one size. Thus instead of an AN-6 for the 3/8" flow, you would want to use AN-8. The inside flow size is ~about~ 1/16" smaller than the fitting size. WHEW.....

If you haven't used these fittings, then have them show you how to build them (and how to cut the hoses), or YouTube it. You have to get the fittings into the hose all the way, and make sure they don't back out when tightening.....

Another option you have is to get hard fuel line that will work with the AN fittings, and run it from tank to tank, instead of braided. Your choice. Gotta make sure your flair tool has the proper degree crimp on it too. AN uses 37 degrees. SAE is 45 degrees. Pretty sure that your stainless line won't work with the fittings, unless things have changed. It has been quite a few years since I've used them.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You talkin to me??? Uhh.... Sure, pass and driver. 3rd one goes in the rear. Lol. You might want to look them up at rockauto, if you havent. They always seem to have everything spelled out pretty good. OE numbers, what side....

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
1. Dont tee into your return line, it will cause a pressure spike and cause high pressure at the FI unit causing it to over fuel and then "learn" that is needs less fuel which will screw up your maps and the way it runs. It could also damage the built in regulator on the unit.

2. you could buy a regular opposite side tank and use an external pump to pump it over to your main tank, it would just never get it completely empty and it would be best to do while your sitting still or on the highway I imagine.

3. the bulkhead fitting is probably the best way, but run a tube from it down to the bottom of the tank. Just dumping fuel into the top and letting it fall will airate the fuel and could cause damage to your in tank high pressure pump.

4. on the sending units the difference is location. FG05M is dr side FG05N is passenger. I feel like I've said this several times now lol... FG05K is for a 25 gal suburban/blazer tank.

I honestly dont see the point unless you just like buying 40 gals of fuel at a time....

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
1. Dont tee into your return line, it will cause a pressure spike and cause high pressure at the FI unit causing it to over fuel and then "learn" that is needs less fuel which will screw up your maps and the way it runs. It could also damage the built in regulator on the unit.

2. you could buy a regular opposite side tank and use an external pump to pump it over to your main tank, it would just never get it completely empty and it would be best to do while your sitting still or on the highway I imagine.

3. the bulkhead fitting is probably the best way, but run a tube from it down to the bottom of the tank. Just dumping fuel into the top and letting it fall will airate the fuel and could cause damage to your in tank high pressure pump.

4. on the sending units the difference is location. FG05M is dr side FG05N is passenger. I feel like I've said this several times now lol... FG05K is for a 25 gal suburban/blazer tank.

I honestly dont see the point unless you just like buying 40 gals of fuel at a time....
3. Great idea with the tube!
4. YES! I guessed right..... Lol

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
range when camping, it'd be nice to have a lot.

thank you, i'll look into a way to get the outlet near the bottom of the primary tank.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
range when camping, it'd be nice to have a lot.

thank you, i'll look into a way to get the outlet near the bottom of the primary tank.

I'd still put it in the top. Less chance to leak. Should be able to attach a tube to that bulkhead fitting shown above...

X2 on the camping/gas deal too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Use a i tank pump to transfer fuel over any just put the pum on a switch. That way it’s a more seamless install. No extra crap hanging off the frame kinda thing.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I think that was discussed in post #"2

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Use a i tank pump to transfer fuel over any just put the pum on a switch. That way it’s a more seamless install. No extra crap hanging off the frame kinda thing.

I think that was discussed in post #2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat