hillbilly dual tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
truck currently has two 20 gallon tanks, valve looks crusty. converting to efi, '87 tank/sender, ep381 pump

i purchased a spectre replacement tank for an 87 and the above said parts. this only takes care of one side. since i already have a 9 or 10 psi electric frame mount fuel pump laying around...is it a horrible idea to also buy a mechanical style 20 gallon tank; and just transfer from it, into to the high pressure tank when the high pressure tank is running low?

thinking of places to refill into…maybe 'Y' into the efi systems return line and install a directional valve in the efi return line between the 'Y' and efi? do fuel rated directional valves exist? not sure if the back pressure would affect efi. maybe t into the filler neck?

any thoughts on this ridiculous idea? it'd be nice to do away with the fuel selector and replace the on-on toggle with an on-off toggle for the 12v transfer pump. i'm not even sure how the selector would work with 60psi coming through it. it'd also be nice to simplify the relay setup for the ep381, as well as the main fuel supply/return to the efi.

by the way, i'd just flick the 12v pump on when stopped and watch the gauge then turn it off when it reads almost full.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Being your starting pretty much from scratch, you should of went Burb or Blazer tank. Just saying.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Being your starting pretty much from scratch, you should of went Burb or Blazer tank. Just saying.

I kinda looked into that. It seemed like a lot of work to retain the stock filler location.

Where do people normally put the tank? In the spare tire well area or over the rear driveline?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I kinda looked into that. It seemed like a lot of work to retain the stock filler location.

Where do people normally put the tank? In the spare tire well area or over the rear driveline?
I put mine where the spare would go.... pretty much stock location for a Burb or Blazer. I just put a gas door in the back.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I might do that down the road when I pull the body off and re-plumb/wire. I just don’t want to end up with my spare tire in my bed, so I’d have to figure something out.

Theoretically speaking, if you had to transfer fuel from one tank to another, where would you tap in to the tank that is to be filled? I’d like to tap in to the primary tanks return line from the EFI but I need to find out if that would cause an issue with back pressure.

So for now the three options I have thought of would be teeing into the filler neck, teeing into the vent or tapping a fitting into the primary tank...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you tap into the return line, it's likely that your returning fuel will fill up your secondary tank.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you tap into the return line, it's likely that your returning fuel will fill up your secondary tank.
If it’s runnig wouldn’t that dead head the returning fuel?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Tie in to the filler line or add a fitting to the top of the tank that is to be filled. It will take for ever to fill up using 5/16 return line

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Tie in to the filler line or add a fitting to the top of the tank that is to be filled. It will take for ever to fill up using 5/16 return line
Good call his tank is new, safer to weld or braze.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
i hope welding the spectre tank's coating is similar to standard galvy. even then i'll need a few practice passes. haven't mig welded that thin of galvy in a long while…i have a torch but have never brazed galvy either. any tips? i'll be using my new hobart. it can run 220 or 110…co2/argon mix. i also have a lincoln pro mig 180 i haven't fired up in ages.

i'm anal and can't stand splatters and boogers so i'll definitely practice before hand. if anyone welds this kind of material often and has any gas or flux core suggestions…i'm all ears

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You may be able to put the fitting in the sender itself. But gas for sure and remove the galvanizing before welding. And drink your milk.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You may be able to put the fitting in the sender itself. But gas for sure and remove the galvanizing before welding. And drink your milk.
dude…weird, i am actually drinking a gallon of milk right now.

why do you say that though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406