High Hump Transmission Cover Fit Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A couple of years ago I did a transmission swap on my '79 C20 from the TH400 to the SM465. I pulled the 465 out of a truck that was going to be scrapped and got everything I needed for the install into my truck. I used a plasma torch to cut the hole in the low hump of my truck for the tranny and everything bolts up fine, but there's a ~1" gap between the front of the high hump and my floor. I tried moving it around to get it to fit better with little luck.

Now two years later I decided I'm done sealing it up with foam every couple of months and I'll take the time to get it to fit correctly so I can get a carpet kit installed.

Do I just need to jump on it? Ideas on how I can either get it to fit or find a more permanent sealing solution so I can run it under carpet without worrying about it leaking?

I'll throw some pictures up later today.

Thanks.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you do much fabricating I would use cardboard to cut out a template for a small filler panel and weld it in if it's only showing a gap in one place like that. Otherwise you would have to find a K truck and cut a portion of the floorpan/firewall out to make it work. I did this on mine and tacked it in around and around till it was fully welded in. The filler panel would be a lot easier.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
please provide some pics from both sides.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you do much fabricating I would use cardboard to cut out a template for a small filler panel and weld it in if it's only showing a gap in one place like that. Otherwise you would have to find a K truck and cut a portion of the floorpan/firewall out to make it work. I did this on mine and tacked it in around and around till it was fully welded in. The filler panel would be a lot easier.
Yep, this was going to be my suggestion.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
just go to the junk yard cut one out larger than the hole you cut in your truck, trim as needed, mark holes for bolts, seal with butyl tape, and bolt it down, piece of cake, structurally sound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito