Help!! Won't Idle after trail ride, Carb Issues???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton4fun

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 1ton swap
Engine Size
350sb
I just put an edelbrock 650 on my small block 350.. ran and idle great until I took it out for a hard thrash down a snowy trail that haven't been broke threw this winter. (No other tracks or signs of been drove) and now it won't idle for ****. All vacuum line expect the brake booster and vacuum advance have been sealed off. The only thing I can think to do right off hand is switch back to my holley carb and hope it idles.... only reason I switched in first place is because my accelerator pump diaphragm leaked but I just replaced it. If this don't work give me ideas please
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• 20170406_192149.jpg
    20170406_192149.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 81

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Just start out with the simple things. I'm assuming you just have a rubber line coming off the pump, maybe pull the line off at your inline filter and see if you're pushing ample fuel to the carburetor. How old's the filter? If you're not getting a whole lot of fuel, try pulling it out of a can directly from the pump to see if you should be dropping the tank and replacing the pickup and cleaning the tank or just replacing the pump. Check the timing if you have a light. My Caprice's timing retarded some when it got really cold in Mississippi. I'm talking single digit chill factors. I know that's not as bad as what you see up there so I think it's reasonable to check. Finally, make sure you don't have any major vacuum leaks and the carburetor is tight on the intake. There are a lot of combustibles you can use to test this. You can spray carb cleaner, starter fluid, WD40, or basically any aerosol combustible you have. People also get small propane cylinders, turn the valve on, and put the nozzle near potential leak areas to see if there's an idle change.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You may want to check that your needle and seat didn't get some junk in it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome Cody. Threads tend to get more responses when in the right category and if you have some type of description in the Thread title.

I've edited the thread title and moved it from Site News to Engine & Performance > Carb Fuel Systems.

Be sure to post up what you've found out so far so others will follow up with other suggestions to help you out. Then please have enough courtesy to come back and let us know what fixed it. Thanks

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Just for clarification, do you mean that it's stumbling/idling very rough like its about to die out or that it's stuck at high idle or higher rpms and won't kick down?

If stumbling a lot, do you burn much oil? If so, definitely check the plugs. If not, make sure you have good fuel pressure. If fuel is good, check for a good spark. Depending on the road conditions and how quickly you were traveling along them, could definitely have loosened up a connection or two.

If it starts up fine, but then proceeds to bog down, I'd check for fuel first. May have loosened up junk in the tank and it's clogging the pickup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128