Help with hood gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have two giant hood gaps on either side any advise on how to get rid of them ?? Hood is off a different truck driver side door and fender are new. I believe it had the giant gaps with stock body panels.. seems as tho my fenders need to be moved inward But can’t get them to budge .. and even if I did I feel the doors would then not line up properly..any advise is much appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
To get the rear portion of the hood to lower, you need to adjust the firewall side of the hood hinge downward.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To get the rear portion of the hood to lower, you need to adjust the firewall side of the hood hinge downward.

I’ll check that. I believe I’ve already adjusted it down but I’ve got a large side to side gap that gets worse on both sides the closer you get to the windshield..

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I agree with hood hinges needing to go down and maybe a bit forward. Fenders seem not to match to well with cab. Maybe a bit forward with them too.

83 K20

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I’m about to mess with my gap on my hood also I’m pretty sure you have a little room for play in the rad support to the frame I’m only saying that because I just replaced my body mounts there and now my hood dosnt line up

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m about to mess with my gap on my hood also I’m pretty sure you have a little room for play in the rad support to the frame I’m only saying that because I just replaced my body mounts there and now my hood dosnt line up

Ok it going to be a couple days but I’ll mess with it and let you guys no.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Messed with it a bit this morning with no luck .. adjusted the hinges as much as I could .. maybe they need replaced? Or the spring is wore out? Seems like they have done play in them.. still does not explain the side to side gap..

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The large drivers side hood gap where it sits to high will go down almost to where it should wen forced hard by hand..

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
can you push the hood down if you close the hood then push down where the hinges are?

or is that as far as it will go?

it looks like in some of your pictures the hood pinch weld area is hitting the fenders.

something is bent if that is the case. to get the hood to come down more.

you need to bend it back to the way it should be then scoot your fenders in to get rid of the gap.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Just to see if the fenders are sitting correctly, a couple of pics of the front half of the truck from the side might help.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The first picture is of the hood up.. the second after it’s pushed down.. stArting to think something’s wrong with the hinge .. but that doesn’t explain the side to side gaps.. wich are pretty large.. fenders don’t seem to want to move inward .. oven if they do I’m afraid it will make the door gap off..

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The driver's side could probably be raised a bit at the door end. That would help some. But I agree, I think you're going to be learning a lot about hinges. Sorry I'm not familiar with the earlier style, but somebody here should be able to give you some guidance.

I would fix the hinge issue first. You might find the gap more tolerable once the hood is sitting right.

One other thought, how much of the history of this truck do you know? If it was hit something could be bent that you aren't seeing.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I suspect somethings up with the hinges .. specifically the drivers side.. but that only fixes half the problem can’t budge the fenders inward! Truck doesn’t appear to have been wrecked looked as if it had all stock body panels wen I purchased it and it doesn’t look like the from bumper has ever been removed .. stock fenders were shimmed outward wen i first bought it for some reason wich I removed. Vehicle does have newer wheel wells that were installed by previous owner...I’m usually pretty good at getting body panels lined up but this ones giving me all kinds of trouble!!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ill have to wait till i get home to get a pic but my hood has big side to side gaps too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969