Help Sorting Out Rear Bumper Mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hey, guys and gals. So mentally jumping ahead before I have my fuel tank reinstalled, I'm gonna get a new bumper, and I need to figure out the mounting specifics because every single one of these bumper braces are different from each other. I figured one out. This one is longer than its opposite because, after IDing the number, it's off an M1008 CUCV.
You must be registered for see images attach

I think I can replace it with the correct one and be even on both sides. See how the driver side one looks cleaner and more tucked? Plus, the bumper on that side was twisted and sticking out. Once it came off, it got a lot of that bind out.

Now the middle two look horrible. They're not terribly different from each other, but they don't look even. One is mounted inside the frame rail and one is mounted outside of it. Here's the passenger side one. The mounting is shoddy, and it's got a big crack in it, but it vaguely resembles the factory piece.

Here's the other side. It looks weird, but the mounting is better. I'm pretty sure this one is homemade.

Let me know what you guys think. Unfortunately, they don't reproduce the one that's cracked at the moment, and I know I for sure need the passenger side outer brace. Plus, if anyone needs that same brace for an M1008, I apparently have an OEM one.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You probably already have this (dwg and parts list showing mounting details for the 1985 - 1991 06/16 series), but just in case:

Check out rayandsamantha for used frame components:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=rayandsamantha&rt=nc

If you don't see what you need, call Ray. He's often able to locate specific parts and pull them for you.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hey, guys and gals. So mentally jumping ahead before I have my fuel tank reinstalled, I'm gonna get a new bumper, and I need to figure out the mounting specifics because every single one of these bumper braces are different from each other. I figured one out. This one is longer than its opposite because, after IDing the number, it's off an M1008 CUCV.

I think I can replace it with the correct one and be even on both sides. See how the driver side one looks cleaner and more tucked? Plus, the bumper on that side was twisted and sticking out. Once it came off, it got a lot of that bind out.

Now the middle two look horrible. They're not terribly different from each other, but they don't look even. One is mounted inside the frame rail and one is mounted outside of it. Here's the passenger side one. The mounting is shoddy, and it's got a big crack in it, but it vaguely resembles the factory piece.

Here's the other side. It looks weird, but the mounting is better. I'm pretty sure this one is homemade.

Let me know what you guys think. Unfortunately, they don't reproduce the one that's cracked at the moment, and I know I for sure need the passenger side outer brace. Plus, if anyone needs that same brace for an M1008, I apparently have an OEM one.
That's an easy fix. Drill an 1/8" hole at the end of the crack. Grind a V in the crack and close up the crack and weld it grind smooth with a flap wheel it will be good as new.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You probably already have this (dwg and parts list showing mounting details for the 1985 - 1991 06/16 series), but just in case:

If you don't see what you need, call Ray. He's often able to locate specific parts and pull them for you.
Thanks, Jerry. Even though I'm better informed now, but this kinda throws a monkey wrench at me, lol. The number that the part listing shows is the one that I ID'd off the part; I don't know why I got a bunch of M1008 stuff and no Blazer/Suburban when I looked it up, but neither here nor there. I'll give it another shot, but I couldn't make out the number on the other. I made out enough to know it was an OEM piece. Are those outer braces universal across all 81-91 square bodies? There's clearly something different about the two outers on mine. One sticks out more than the other even though they're shaped exactly the same. I'll see about sourcing those inner brackets. They appear to have chunks missing where they bolt to the frame, and they're held in place by jumbo washers where there's no bolt hole. It looks very tacky and poorly repaired. Otherwise, I wouldn't be opposed to repairing the inners.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks, Jerry. Even though I'm better informed now, but this kinda throws a monkey wrench at me, lol. The number that the part listing shows is the one that I ID'd off the part; I don't know why I got a bunch of M1008 stuff and no Blazer/Suburban when I looked it up, but neither here nor there. I'll give it another shot, but I couldn't make out the number on the other. I made out enough to know it was an OEM piece. Are those outer braces universal across all 81-91 square bodies? There's clearly something different about the two outers on mine. One sticks out more than the other even though they're shaped exactly the same. I'll see about sourcing those inner brackets. They appear to have chunks missing where they bolt to the frame, and they're held in place by jumbo washers where there's no bolt hole. It looks very tacky and poorly repaired. Otherwise, I wouldn't be opposed to repairing the inners.

Yeah I agree, the parts manual for that group is a mess. It appears that the dwgs show two different versions/styles/options, and yet the parts list - that accompanies the dwg - only indicates the PN's for one of them. It's the same way with the 03 series. Anyway, here are the extended parts lists for that whole assembly - across all models and years (85 - 91). Good luck:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Alrighty. Thanks again!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Thrice, thank you. I messaged those folks you suggested, and they told me that if I can wait a couple weeks, they're parting out an '85 K5, and it'll be $75 for all four braces w/free shipping. That's better than anything I've been able to find thus far. I appreciate the recommendation on the parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike