Help need with lift choices and the law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Posted in another thread, but same information applies here.

I went with ORD's 4" shackle flip with their stock length HD shackles and all new greaseable poly bushings and bolts in the entire rear end. I removed a leaf or two (7+1 or 8+1 down to a 6+1 pack) from the rear 52" spring pack as well as a 3/4" block and flipped the overloads.

I haven't recentered or shimmed the rear end yet. But looking at a couple new photos, the pinion is up a little over the driveshaft. So looks like a small shim would correct that, just need to measure the angle difference and get it adjusted.

Yes, truck is a long bed and I did get a bit of axle wrap when turning a hard right and romping on the throttle. Made me start looking into traction bars or a 3/4-link setup. Currently figuring out a way I can remove the spare tire and install a cantilever rear end. Roughly 20"-22" of travel without modifying the frame and being limited by the u-joint angles.

I believe that the bushings and greasable bolts were probably the biggest contributing factor (besides removing the leafs) since the old rubber bushings were all cracked up and the bushing couldn't rotate at all. I also saw that the factory spring bushings and shackle bushings had a bit of teeth on them to grab the shackle and shackle mount that restricted movement. My guess is that GM designed them that way to possibly increase the weight capacity or to help limit the movement of a load during small motions in the suspension.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trust me you wanna relocate the axle. It will look better. If you have access to a drill press and can tap a hole save your cash and make your own relocation plates. I got pics in my thread of the ones I made for mine out of 5/8 plate.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Body lifts are ok, but from what i have seen they make the ride worse and can take extra time to make sure hoses and wires fit again right

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Body lifts are ok, but from what i have seen they make the ride worse and can take extra time to make sure hoses and wires fit again right

Body lifts have nothing to do with ride quality. But they do put added leverage and stress on the body mounts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84