Help need with lift choices and the law

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBJREX

Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hello all. I’m new to the whole forum thing. I’m looking for ideas and suggestions. I have an 82 K20. I’m looking to have a finished truck that can off-road in mostly mud and also be legal on the road. I live in Virginia and I am limited to 29” from the ground to the bumper. My two options I’m looking at now are 6” suspension with 35s and most likely a 3” body lift as that gives lift and does not matter as far as the Va laws. My other choice would be 4” Superlift with shackle flips in the rear and a 3” body lift and run 37s. Thoughts? Suggestions? Pics would be great. Thanks.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site..

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
How often do you plan to drive the truck on the street?

If you license it as an antique vehicle in VA (more than 25 years old), it is not subject to inspection and the registration is permanent. I only pay the minimum $33 personal property tax each year on my '75, and I insure it for estimated 4000 miles/year driving (much cheaper).
Antique vehicles are also restricted to:
  • Used ONLY for: Club events, exhibitions, and similar activities. Occasional pleasure driving, up to 250 miles from your home address.
Just make sure your pleasure driving takes you to good off-road locations :).

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Or just run around with Farm Use tags like most other people there, lol. I have no idea how they get away with that.

Either way you are doing a body lift, right? I know your reasoning, but body lifts kinda suck unless they are kept to 1 inch.

Personally, I'd do the 4 inch lift with a 1 or MAYBE 2 inch body lift and stuff whatever tire you can fit under it. Keeping in mind, rim width has a lot to do with tire clearance and just because a tire is listed as a certain size does not mean that's what the actual diameter is.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Welcome.
You must be registered for see images attach
That’s 6” front springs, shackle flip and add a leaf out back with a 5/8” axle relocation plate and a 2” body lift. On 36s. Front bumper is raised to match the body. Is 31” from the ground to the bottom of the bumper. In the back it’s 33” with a Blazer bumper tuck up higher then stock bumper height. Also there is a big block engine up front. A small block may yield a higher stance in the front.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don’t need a 6” lift for 35s
A 2” lift and some fender trimming would be fine

Hockey pucks make a free one inch body lift

My state has a lift law on the books but I’m not aware of anyone ever getting a ticket for it
And everyone ignores it

JBJREX

Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m going to keep looking into the chances of a ticket. I have a couple sons that will be driving it sometimes and I don’t want them getting a ticket. The antique plates don’t seem to override the Va laws. Currently I have farm tags on the truck as it is a farm truck. But we are looking to do more with it. I have been told by a few people now that they are cracking down on people in our area. Also I’ll open the can of worms up now. I have never had a body lift before. I have only used full suspension lifts in the past. Other than some areas that don’t look so great, what is the reason so many people don’t like them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I’m going to keep looking into the chances of a ticket. I have a couple sons that will be driving it sometimes and I don’t want them getting a ticket. The antique plates don’t seem to override the Va laws. Currently I have farm tags on the truck as it is a farm truck. But we are looking to do more with it. I have been told by a few people now that they are cracking down on people in our area. Also I’ll open the can of worms up now. I have never had a body lift before. I have only used full suspension lifts in the past. Other than some areas that don’t look so great, what is the reason so many people don’t like them?

There's general nuisance items like cutting up fan shrouds, extending the steering shaft, fuel hoses, etc. But I don't like them because it's added leverage on the body mounts that they were not designed to see. Especially in a wreck.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There's general nuisance items like cutting up fan shrouds, extending the steering shaft, fuel hoses, etc. But I don't like them because it's added leverage on the body mounts that they were not designed to see. Especially in a wreck.
But side exit exhaust threw the bed...... lol that’s also why I lowered the big block in the frame.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But side exit exhaust threw the bed...... lol that’s also why I lowered the big block in the frame.

Your reasoning for a body lift was much more sound.

Ha! See what I did there? I crack myself up :rofl:

JBJREX

Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You bring up some things I had not considered as far as the stress on the mounts and the steering. I had already planned on the fuel lines needing some attention. I may still end up doing a body lift just because a body lift gains lift without raising my bumper or frame above the 29” rule. But this is very helpful to at least plan for. Thanks.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You have to modify the steering shaft between the column and box, usually modify the brake lines jay come off the master cylinder and go to the frame

The shift linkage
Sometimes the wiring harness is not long enough

Fuel lines usually have to be replaced at the tank

The fuel filler hose has to
Be modified

Sometimes the battery cables are not long enough to reach the starter

Fan shroud has to have special brackets

It’s a whole can of worms that easily avoided by trimming the bottom corner of the fenders

A one inch hockey puck lift doesn’t cause any problems and isn’t really noticeable

But a three inch lift is more
Trouble than its worth , and looks really stupid since the bumpers are now three inches lower than the body

Some states have headlight height rules too
Some have regs for the frame height

Think my state says you can’t alter factory height more than two inches

Ha !
Half the pickups on the road have a 4” lift

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
you could always do all suspension lift and relocate and/or get taller bumpers. throw a front porch on that thing.

most people I talk to say you need to address the steering on anything over 2-3" lift.

roundhouse has a point about the headlights. you need to re-aim them after a big lift. nothing worse than some jack hole behind you with the low beams blinding you through your mirrors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell