Help me please! PS Pump and they keep sending me the wrong one!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OkieFishMan

Certified Camping and Fishing Nut
Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Alright, my power steering pump is bad and I am replacing it. My pump looks like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

I ordered one from O'Reilly's and the picture of what they ordered looked just like this. However, they have now ordered 5 of them and they all look like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

This style will bolt to my brackets but will not allow me to tighten the v-belt because the giant reservoir body hits my a/c brackets. Any ideas????? Any input would be much appreciated.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Many times with these discount auto parts stores, you have to do the work for them. Do you know what brand of pumps they are stocking?

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I just went through a similar issue with O'reilly's power steering pumps on my 86 sbc. My issue was I have the bottom pictured pump, all their reservoirs were made clocked wrong to bolt up the brackets. Ended up buying just the pump and re-using my reservoir tank to make it work. Might see if they have just the pump in stock for the big block and try that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like they use their own Master Pro Brand and you need Part # 731-2212. Is that what they've given you?

Other brand part #'s are A1 Cardone 207999, AC Delco 36P1335, It might be they have the right pump but with the wrong tank. How hard would it be to swap your tank onto the new pump? Or is it cheaper to buy just a pump and swap your old tank to it?

Mine is an 86 454 engine set up, so it has a divorced tank.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Have you got a Napa or an Advanced Auto parts there in Enid? Try one of those. Those better auto parts stores usually don't have these fitament issues like discount auto parts do. I also consider Advance Auto Parts one of the discount chains, but they've recently bought out CarQuest and do have some good quality parts now days for discount auto part store prices and if you look online even, they've usually got a 15-25% off promo and even a gift card to go with it. I've done it several times, place my order online and select will pay cash in store, drive right up there and pick it up with my confirmation code if they had it in stock at that store. Otherwise, I'd call the store and ask how quick they'd have it in the store. Being here in OKC metro, they'd have it in the store in no more than 3 hours cuz they could go to the local warehouse and pick it up.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Have you got a Napa or an Advanced Auto parts there in Enid? Try one of those. Those better auto parts stores usually don't have these fitament issues like discount auto parts do. I also consider Advance Auto Parts one of the discount chains, but they've recently bought out CarQuest and do have some good quality parts now days for discount auto part store prices and if you look online even, they've usually got a 15-25% off promo and even a gift card to go with it. I've done it several times, place my order online and select will pay cash in store, drive right up there and pick it up with my confirmation code if they had it in stock at that store. Otherwise, I'd call the store and ask how quick they'd have it in the store. Being here in OKC metro, they'd have it in the store in no more than 3 hours cuz they could go to the local warehouse and pick it up.

Yeah, it takes a day or more to get anything here in Enid. I took everyones' advice and was able to remove the reservoir from the pump. They had just the pump here in town, so now I am in the process of putting it all back together. So hopefully I have this whooped now.

As for O'Reilly's, they ordered #731-2212 for a total of 5 pump (ordered 3 of them the last time) and all of them were pictured like my top pic but looked like my bottom pic when they came in.

I hear horror stories of these reman pumps, so I hope all this trouble isn't for nothing. I wonder if this pump is better, it looks like it would work.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/80-newer-hi-performance-power-steering-pump-w-o-can.html

I think I have this problem solved now. I'll report back here in a while and let everyone know.

Thank you all for the help!

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
Well, after putting on 2 pumps from O'Reilly's and neither working, I took the truck to my mechanic to let him do it. He laughed. Doesn't think to highly of their PS pumps, so apparently I am not the only one to have this problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ain't that a bitch !?!?

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I learned to not buy anything from O'Reilly's that is Master Pro. I will special order Moog or Cardone if I can, otherwise I order up from Summit or Jegs.

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
I learned to not buy anything from O'Reilly's that is Master Pro. I will special order Moog or Cardone if I can, otherwise I order up from Summit or Jegs.
I believe I agree! Those pumps were junk.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well your problem is that pump in the first pick is off a 60's era truck. the one in the second pic that you said would not fit is correct for the year of your truck. so obviously somewhere down the line **** has been changed. like everyone said you can just change the reservoir or you can figure out what year truck that set up came off of and order that. highdesertranger

OkieFishMan

Reaction score
First Name
OkieFishMan
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500
Engine Size
454/SM465
well your problem is that pump in the first pick is off a 60's era truck. the one in the second pic that you said would not fit is correct for the year of your truck. so obviously somewhere down the line **** has been changed. like everyone said you can just change the reservoir or you can figure out what year truck that set up came off of and order that. highdesertranger

That's what I did. I changed out the reservoir twice. Both times the new pump was junk. And the picture at the top is just a picture of the general shape of the pump. And that shape is correct to the 80-85 454 trucks from what I understand. The newer design with the wide reservoir will not fit because it runs into the A/C bracket when you pull it over to tighten the belt.

Regardless, it's not my problem now that my mechanic is fixing it! lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
On a side note, I had ongoing drama with a pump, rebuilt it and it was still weak.
The oil would just foam up and just could seem to bleed it.
Then I went back to square one and a very thorough purge of the steering box released a lot of filthy gel like oil and I finally had steering again.
I would have saved a lot of work and oil if I did this right from the start. But with all the times I changed the oil in the steering res I figured (wrong) the box was also full of clean oil.

sealacamp

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
81, 78
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a similar problem with my 81. I reworked the entire power steering system, pump, gears, hoses, it was a night mare because no one could tell me what was going on. What I found out was that the previous owner(s) had put a pump on the truck that was not supposed to be there. But I had already gotten the adapters that I needed to connect they hoses properly, they were jury rigged before that, so I had to figure out what was going on with the pump. Either that, or change my pulley and brackets as the one that was supposed to be my year pump didn't work with the brackets I had, the hose adapters, or the pulley.

What I did, after several attempts, was to go on to Rockauto and visually identify the pump that I took off of there. I started with my year, looked at all the variants and worked my way back from there. When I got to 1974 I found my pump. So apparently what had happened was the original pump died, the previous owner(s) went to a junkyard and found the first pump they could find, and then forced it to work by switching out the brackets and jury rigging the hoses. It was very frustrating, but maybe my nightmare will help you sort out yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28