HELP! Keep it stock or go a little aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Do whatever you can easily reverse.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Before you you buy just one size of hose, check all the nipples for size. I believe some are 1/16" smaller than others. Don't want to add any vacuum leaks.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now i know my carb is diff but it looks like your truck has the right lines.... does yours have metal lines coming from here???

You must be registered for see images attach

It does have those metal lines.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Of course, ultimately, it's your decision but let me just throw my 2 cents into the hat...

I purchased a 1988 K5 that was supposed to be 100% stock and mechanically, it is. That's what I wanted because I didn't want something "cobbled" up by some PO. (It ended up being cobbled up in the interior department anyway.) Bought off internet sight unseen...I'll never do that again!

Anyway, I mulled over a set of aftermarket vortec heads, headers, dual exhaust, cam, carb, etc. Then I added it all up and realized I wasn't going to expect a race car out of a truck so I just decided to keep it as is until the engine is totally worn out THEN decide if I want to put all that stuff in it when it needs rebuilt. In the meantime if I decide to sell it I'll get more from it in stock form. The resell value, by my calculations, would go down about the same amount that I would spend on the parts so I'd probably lose twice what I invested...could be right, could be wrong.

Upside is, either way, if you do the upgrades correctly you'll know they were done right and you'll know exactly what was done.

One thought, if you don't address the rust issue it won't matter since the worse it gets the more likely you won't be as happy driving it around anyway, IMO.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Before you you buy just one size of hose, check all the nipples for size. I believe some are 1/16" smaller than others. Don't want to add any vacuum leaks.

I totally thought about that. Can I use calipers to measure the nipples or is there a better way? I'm sure the nipples are a little bigger to get a good fit.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I finally figured out today where they go...

Is this a heater hose?

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup. It should go to the passenger side firewall
Can you take an overhead picture of the manifold where those thermal vacuum switches are?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Can you take an overhead picture of the manifold where those thermal vacuum switches are?
I couldve about oh.... 4 days ago.... but ive since removed them.... heres my before and after if it helps... btw i still have the goose neck with the tvs and the tvs that goes in the manifold if you need them but no garuntees because how you see them in the first pic is how they came with my motor, i jist removed them.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Ok i just looked back and realized that you commented on the picture i posted. That was a truck in the junk yard that i took a pic of because it has those metal lines to the carb from the manifold like mine used too. Im sorry if that misslead you...

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I totally thought about that. Can I use calipers to measure the nipples or is there a better way? I'm sure the nipples are a little bigger to get a good fit.

Calipers or open end wrenches work.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok i just looked back and realized that you commented on the picture i posted. That was a truck in the junk yard that i took a pic of because it has those metal lines to the carb from the manifold like mine used too. Im sorry if that misslead you...

No, your good. That manifold had an extra hole where that vacuum port is that mine doesn't have. Edelbrock intake manifold.

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Of course, ultimately, it's your decision but let me just throw my 2 cents into the hat...

I purchased a 1988 K5 that was supposed to be 100% stock and mechanically, it is. That's what I wanted because I didn't want something "cobbled" up by some PO. (It ended up being cobbled up in the interior department anyway.) Bought off internet sight unseen...I'll never do that again!

Anyway, I mulled over a set of aftermarket vortec heads, headers, dual exhaust, cam, carb, etc. Then I added it all up and realized I wasn't going to expect a race car out of a truck so I just decided to keep it as is until the engine is totally worn out THEN decide if I want to put all that stuff in it when it needs rebuilt. In the meantime if I decide to sell it I'll get more from it in stock form. The resell value, by my calculations, would go down about the same amount that I would spend on the parts so I'd probably lose twice what I invested...could be right, could be wrong.

Upside is, either way, if you do the upgrades correctly you'll know they were done right and you'll know exactly what was done.

One thought, if you don't address the rust issue it won't matter since the worse it gets the more likely you won't be as happy driving it around anyway, IMO.
How would you recommend I go about fixing the rust. I've never dealt with it before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84