help identifying 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys i just recently picked up a 4l60e from a junkyard for 90 bucks. according to my buddy who is a ace certified mechanic and deals with chevy all his life, he said that this tranny was rebuilt because the casting has been repainted and they repainted over the id sticker. There is an id stamped under the transmission and it says 8chd. From doing my research 8 is from the year 98 and d is the type of transmission which is 4l60e, however i have no clue what ch stands for and was wondering if this is a v6 tranny or a v8. planning on installing this to my 77 c10 with a sbc fuel injected

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This should help.

You must be registered for see images attach

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't buy that ******** just because the label had been painted over.

Lemme tell you a story about that.

So a buddy of mine wanted to upgrade his race car to a Th400 from a Th350 and wanted me to build it. I told him to find a core and I'd build it. So he found a core on Craigslist for $150. The guy he bought it from said he bought it from another Craigslister about 2 weeks prior as a working transmission for $250. It was fairly clean and you could tell the silver paint wasn't that old so he fell for it and bought it, installed it, but it didn't work. The guy had met the seller and of course he never answered his phone so a refund was out.
This guy being honest sold it to my buddy as a NON WORKING CORE for $150 and trying to recover part of his loss, so my buddy bought it. Buddy brings it to me. I look it over and notice all the silver paint over dirt and road grime in all the crevices. Looked like someone took it to the car wash, hosed it off real good, and spray painted it silver to mislead someone as a newly rebuilt transmission. Should have seen the writing on the wall. All the bolts were painted silver too and even the dirt in lines of the bolt head was painted over.

So I strip the transmission down, and drop it off at the machine shop to get cleaned and vatted. Machine shop calls me up the next morning and tells me this transmission is broke to come take a look at this shifty ****. I get up there and there is a tennis ball size chunk of the bell housing at one of the top bolt holes broke out, and it had a piece of clear shipping tape holding it on and in place. Then with some dirt, grease and silver paint, the crack and thin shipping tape wasn't even noticeable. My buddy called the guy back, he apologized and said, I guess I got fuct even worse than I thought, bring it back and I'll give you a refund.

I told my buddy, the the dogbone element sprag drum and 8 bolt pump alone was worth the $150 and you never know what other hard parts you might need so find another core and we'll use this one for the good stronger hard parts that aren't found in the later Th400's. So he helped split the loss from a dishonest Craigslist muhfugger. He found another core for $100 from a car that didn't have the bolt on yoke from a truck. I told him it didn't matter, we'd use the output shaft out of the broken bell housing transmission. He told that story to the guy he was buying this new found core, and the guy felt bad enough for him and said, Damn, sorry to hear that. I'll help with your loss and take $75 for this one.

Moral of the story, NEVER TRUST PAINT, especially over a label.

I guess the good part there too was, the loss of one crooked fugger was spread out over 3 different guys sharing the loss instead of 1 guy getting totally fuct over. Goes to show, there really is more good guys out there than bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tporter79