HELP BLEEDING CLUTCH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uscombsp

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
New to site. Have a 1987 v30 with a 4 speed manual. Need to replace 8 inch rubber hose that runs to my clutch master cylinder reservoir on firewall. How do I bleed clutch afterwards? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
BLEEDING CLUTCH SYSTEM

Fill master cylinder, as needed with new brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 specification.
Raise and support vehicle and remove slave cylinder attaching bolts.
Hold slave cylinder at approximately 45°angle with bleed valve at highest point.
Fully depress clutch pedal, then open bleed valve.
Close bleed valve, then release clutch pedal. Do not release clutch pedal with bleed valve open as air will be drawn into hydraulic system.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all air is evacuated from system. Check and refill master cylinder at regular intervals during procedure to prevent air from being drawn into system through master cylinder.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
BLEEDING CLUTCH SYSTEM

Fill master cylinder, as needed with new brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 specification.
Raise and support vehicle and remove slave cylinder attaching bolts.
Hold slave cylinder at approximately 45°angle with bleed valve at highest point.
Fully depress clutch pedal, then open bleed valve.
Close bleed valve, then release clutch pedal. Do not release clutch pedal with bleed valve open as air will be drawn into hydraulic system.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all air is evacuated from system. Check and refill master cylinder at regular intervals during procedure to prevent air from being drawn into system through master cylinder.

There's another method that often works very very well. After getting through step #3, just push in the slave rod slowly and fully by hand. This pushes all the air up through the system and out the reservoir. Two or three pushes is usually all it takes.

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you saying to leave the cap off the reservoir, open the bleeder valve and press the rod a few times? Or do I need to keep opening and closing the valve?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

maxtwms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Holy cow that worked!!!! Hell yeah! I realized it's reservoir open, bleeder valve closed. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Now we’re cookin’!

CookieSoup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
There's another method that often works very very well. After getting through step #3, just push in the slave rod slowly and fully by hand. This pushes all the air up through the system and out the reservoir. Two or three pushes is usually all it takes.

this i spent weeks trying to bleed mine but i realized in the end i needed the cap off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400