heater fan - always on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byproxy

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
350 V8
thanks gents!!

so just to confirm 1low4x4, this fix would be for the non-ac rigs right?

Easy fix for that is to push the upper tab down then plug the connector back in. This keeps the damn the damn blower from running all the time and burning up. Still works when you want it to and only then.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

byproxy

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
350 V8
so is this the plug? if so, mine does not appear to have the prong bent down in the previous pic/post. am i not looking in the right place??

Attachments

• 20130307_085116.jpg
    20130307_085116.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 20130307_085144.jpg
    20130307_085144.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 354

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ahh you have the heat only setup nice. :popcorn:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I found this thread BECAUSE my fan runs 100% of the time Key On.

No.

This is 100% unacceptable.
When daddy says off, he means OFF.

Why the pictures regarding "bent prong" are no good?
Grr. WHAT PRONG?!
I will bend it! At what cost?
Grrr!

How to best fix? Because grr.

Jerry knows this answer @chengny .

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The idea behind that was to keep moisture out of the ductwork so you don't get mildew build up.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine runs all the time key on too. Even in the off position

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's just how it was then.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
It was called Astro-Ventalation in the cars. An attempt to prevent CO poisoning. Sometime in the 80's the Off position did start turning the fan off in the cars. Not sure on the Squares.
My '78 Impala fan ran all the time, but it had an added feature. As the fan immediately blowing at very low temperatures (close to 0F) feels very uncomfortable, the was a little, round thermostat that plugged into the back of the control head that opened the low speed circuit until the interior warmed sufficiently. You could switch to the other 3a speeds as desired.
My '78 Square doesn't have this feature or the provision for it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It was called Astro-Ventalation in the cars. An attempt to prevent CO poisoning. Sometime in the 80's the Off position did start turning the fan off in the cars. Not sure on the Squares.
My '78 Impala fan ran all the time, but it had an added feature. As the fan immediately blowing at very low temperatures (close to 0F) feels very uncomfortable, the was a little, round thermostat that plugged into the back of the control head that opened the low speed circuit until the interior warmed sufficiently. You could switch to the other 3a speeds as desired.
My '78 Square doesn't have this feature or the provision for it.

My '69 and '70 Impalas have the Astro Ventilation. It was a new feature for '69 as it replaced the wing windows. The cars had dash vents on each side even if no AC. There was a second knob on the kick panel that you would pull out and outside air would flow through the dash vent. You can have air flow through the kick panel, or the dash, or both. The blower on those cars doesn't run all the time.

Reactions: WFO

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Are you dudes trying to tell me (in so many words) that the fan running 100% of the time KEY ON is merely an accepted occurrence within this here msb?
The mostest epicest msb about square body trucks on the whole of the innerwebz and you motherfuckers just take it? Do I understand correctly?

One guy up ere talking about bendin prongs and I am about that, man, but he can't post a pic!

Omg while i'm gettin agitated, i might as well ask what you dudes know about making a 9/16, 350.
Because asking you all engine questions pisses me off too. :D:D:D:893Chainsaw-Smilie-
For some ******* reason I keep thinkin somebody in here should know about building motors. Lol motors. My knowledge is too limited.about that.still.

I'm tellin you right now now that MY truck is NOT allowed to run the blower all the time.

****.THAT.
Zero tolerance.

;)

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Are you dudes trying to tell me (in so many words) that the fan running 100% of the time KEY ON is merely an accepted occourance within this here msb?
The mostest epicest msb about square body trucks on the whole of the itnerwebz and you motherfuckers just take it? Do I understand correctly?

One guy up ere talking about bendin prongs and I am about that man, but he can't figure out how to post a pic!

Omg while i'm gettin agitated, i might as well ask what you dudes know about making a 9/16, 350.
Because asking you all engine questions pisses me off too. :D:D:D:893Chainsaw-Smilie-
For some ******* reason I keep thinkin somebody in here should know about building motors. My knowledge is too limited.about that.

I'm tellin you right now now that MY truck is NOT allowed to run the blower all the time.

****.THAT.
Zero tolerance.

;)
Lol my 87s don’t I need full power for cranking lol

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
My '69 and '70 Impalas have the Astro Ventilation. It was a new feature for '69 as it replaced the wing windows. The cars had dash vents on each side even if no AC. There was a second knob on the kick panel that you would pull out and outside air would flow through the dash vent. You can have air flow through the kick panel, or the dash, or both. The blower on those cars doesn't run all the time.

I stand corrected :)
I had genuinely thought it was a part of the AV package.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you dudes trying to tell me (in so many words) that the fan running 100% of the time KEY ON is merely an accepted occourance within this here msb?
The mostest epicest msb about square body trucks on the whole of the itnerwebz and you motherfuckers just take it? Do I understand correctly?

One guy up ere talking about bendin prongs and I am about that man, but he can't figure out how to post a pic!

For some ******* reason I keep thinkin somebody in here should know about building motors. My knowledge is too limited.about that.

****.THAT.
Zero tolerance.

;)

It's how GM designed it. It's good enough for me so I leave it be. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass if the blower runs at a low speed all the time. Obviously though, it bugs you :)

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I think the reason for the constantly on fan was to always allow fresh air into the cabin for recirculation and more importantly rid the cabin of exhaust fumes. I doubt that the GM engineers were concerned with keeping dust out. Thats a seriously funny theory though...lol

If by a slim...really slim chance that the GM engineers were in fact concerned with dust in the cab, it would make more sense to engineer better door seals. It is called a "fresh air vent" which by definition draws outside air in the cab. If its dusty outside...why design a system that draws in outside air ?

ANYWHOO...on a serious note to the o.p. YES the fan runs all of the time unless you bypass the system as it was originally designed and cut power to the blower fan. Most people, myself included also install an inline shutoff valve into the heater hose. When the inline valve is closed, it prevents antifreeze from circulating through the heater core. Since the fan is constantly on, without the inline valve, hot air will blow into the cab. In the winter time I open the valve and have heat. This modification is also helpfull if the heater core takes a **** and leaks into the cab.

Last edited:
Reactions: WFO

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
It's how GM designed it. It's good enough for me so I leave it be. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass if the blower runs at a low speed all the time. Obviously though, it bugs you :)
Geez....ya think?....lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike