Heater core won't stop running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyVFL

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Heater core won't stop running. No heat or a/c of any kind on my truck. Cut 2 hoses off coming into cabin from heater core because it kept leaking coolant into cab from heater core and no heat or ac anyway. Now the hose from the back of the engine near distributor wont stop leaking coolant and blowing steam when truck is running. Can somebody please help me figure out how to stop that hose from leaking and blowing steam, heat ac gauges are off inside cab, not core hose from radiator thats still running its the hose coming from the back where distributor is on engine. 1987 Chevy Silverado V10 4x4 350 V8 Throttle Body Injection. 4speed auto

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Loop the hoses that previously supplied and returned the heater core together? So that there is a supply and return instead of dead heading the hot coolant in the one line..

87ChevyVFL

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Loop the hoses that previously supplied and returned the heater core together? So that there is a supply and return instead of dead heading the hot coolant in the one line..

I got rid of the hoses running into the cab from radiator/heater core. Dad and I just ran a single hose from core to the back of engine to get the coolant to the engine and keep it from overheating/steaming. No issues as of yet, shouldn't have any I hope because no heat or air and no need to have hoses running to the cab. Heat core valve is turned off as well. Hope all goes o.k with it and don't have any overheating issues etc... Thank you QBuff02

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You should have had a hose running from a port on the front of the intake to the firewall to the heater core and then a return hose to either the water pump or the radiator from the heater core.

So you need to run a hose from the port on the intake to either the nipple on the radiator or on top of the water pump. Whichever way it was.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, make a loop through with 1 hose as suggested twice above. There should be no hose going back to the core or it's valve if someone has installed one. Just loop through 1 hose and be done. You won't have any problems that way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes