Heater Core Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For a while now when my thermostat opens as the truck starts to get warm I get a a fairly strong odor of coolant inside the cab. There have been a few times when it was really strong and it almost seemed as if a mist came out of the vents if I had the blower motor on. I would have to have the windows down and the back glass open.

This started a few months ago and then mostly went away. Sometimes I would have a faint smell and then it would go away. Usually after the truck has been running for a bit and is good and warm it goes away completely and I can run around with the A/C on and not smell any coolant.

This morning and yesterday morning it was pretty bad. When I turned on defrost it really put a film on windshield and the odor was very strong.

I have no dampness or wet area in my passenger floor area. I also have not noticed any drop in coolant during this whole time period.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Your heater core is leaking and needs to be replaced. Get a rebuilt core from any parts store and then we will walk you through the process of changing it.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully you don't have AC and doing a heater core is really simple!

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully you don't have AC and doing a heater core is really simple!

I do have AC, would be tough living here in Oklahoma without it. We have had a mild summer for us though.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I do have AC, would be tough living here in Oklahoma without it. We have had a mild summer for us though.

You can use the reference sticky thread on the heater core removal pictures. There are a pain to get to bolts inside the engine bay on the bottom of the hvac box. Some use contraptions out of extensions to get them, while others just remove the inner fender well.(A friend of mine did the extensions and took him longer by 20 minutes vs when I went with inner fender removal). The hole assembly inside has to come out and needs to be taken completely apart to get to the heater core.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't want to get your hopes up but you might want to check one thing before you tear your HVAC apart.

You say this:

This morning and yesterday morning it was pretty bad. When I turned on defrost it really put a film on windshield and the odor was very strong.

I have no dampness or wet area in my passenger floor area. I also have not noticed any drop in coolant during this whole time period.

The statements in bold are generally the litmus test for a heater core failure and you have not noticed either. Is it possible that the mist is not coolant at all but condensation from the evaporator coil? If that liquid cannot drain out of the evap housing it will do two things;

1. Smell real bad (but not like coolant)

2. Get whipped up and issue from the vents when the fan is at the higher speeds - if allowed to accumulate.

There is a drain hole on the bottom of the evap casing. It will be right up against the firewall. If is plugged up the liquid can't drain normally and will enter the cab along with the incoming air. Here are a couple of images showing it's location:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

There are a number of ways to clean it out - if you find it plugged - I will leave that up to you.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks, I will give that a shot.

DrPrepper

Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
400ci
where might the pictures be that are refered to in #5?

DrPrepper

Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
400ci
Thanks HK....I'll probably wear this link out in the next couple of days...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know about factory AC trucks, but for non-AC trucks there a TON of heater cores out there that allow air to pass around both sides. This means your heater will barely blow warm on very cold days.

The good on the left, the bad on the right.

You must be registered for see images
:

Last edited:

DrPrepper

Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
400ci
Thanks for the pointers...went with removing the inner fender well route,pictures really do tell a 1000 words...I'll be warm this winter, moving on to the A/C next...been looking for the little P shaped plastic piece that attaches to the Blend door...any thoughts on where it can be found

Thanks again

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the pointers...went with removing the inner fender well route,pictures really do tell a 1000 words...I'll be warm this winter, moving on to the A/C next...been looking for the little P shaped plastic piece that attaches to the Blend door...any thoughts on where it can be found

Thanks again
Off another truck BA DUM TSS......

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E