Heater Control Panel Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My 1976 K10 did not have AC but I plan to get an aftermarket kit next year. In the meantime, I need to get through the winter with heat. My current panel is broken and unusable. I have access to two used panels, one from a 1977 and one from a 1979...both with AC. Can my cables be connected to one of these panels or are there differences. It's been a while since I've had that part of the dash apart but I thought I remember seeing that the cables were mounted to the top of the panel in my truck. On the donor trucks, the cables seem to mount to the bottom.

Thanks...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hah - this is funny. It appears that the HVAC cables back the were kind of made to order.

For either application (heat only or heat & AC) , for model years 1973 -1978 , for every available body style and with any GVWR...there was only cable specified. Item #3 which was assigned GM part no. 6259364.

At first, I thought I was looking at the parts list incorrectly. I'm pretty familiar with the data base of GM's parts but this was a first for me. One part for every single possible situation - I couldn't believe it. Even though it was right there in black and white, I kept looking for another group, an addendum something with more parts. Then I noticed that it said - almost hidden within the text of the part description - to see Note 1.

Note 1 advised: Cut as required. Part has 13' of housing and 60' of wire.

Anyway, it seems that you are going to be okay - as long as your application requires a cable(s) that are same length - or shorter than your friends. The only drawing:

You must be registered for see images attach

And the entire parts list:

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for sharing that information. I wasn't sure if if would fit. Now, I guess the most I would have to do is buy the correct cables if I can't use the ones for either truck.

Thanks again for digging that up!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks for sharing that information. I wasn't sure if if would fit. Now, I guess the most I would have to do is buy the correct cables if I can't use the ones for either truck.

Thanks again for digging that up!

Or - what I left unsaid - you will be able to use the donor cables if they are longer than your application. Just trim them to the correct length.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The cables are all the same because all they do is move the blend door. They work the same for both A/C and non A/C vehicles.

When you turn the A/C on it will cycle on the compressor, which will stay on unless shut off by a pressure switch (too high or low), or the evaporator temp switch that determines it has gone lower than about 35 degrees.

There is always heated air available from the heater core, and if the A/C is on there will also be cool air available from the evaporator. The blend door just adjusts how much you get of cool vs. hot air.

Bruce

dtbnz

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi, my heater cables have all come off from the back of the panel. Going to make some clips to keep them in place, but cannot work out their positions.
From the diagram above has anyone labelled them to I can identify which one goes where on the slider?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC