Heat Temp Gauge Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted1

Reaction score
First Name
Yup
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello Group

I bought a 1983 c10 and its been sitting and neglected for some time. The heat temp gauge is pinned to the right. i examined the green wire from sensor as far back as i could behind the block and i dont see any melted or grounded areas. i can not see behind the block so??

Is there a fuse?

It seems like the main wiring harness comes back to the DS fender area of the firewall and enters behind the gauges??

If i peel the harness open i do see a nice green wire. Can i splice it there? Is there more than one green wire in the harness? Im just trying to confirm this is the correct wire to the temp switch on DS block.

I have changed the switch but that didnt help.

I changed the thermostat out as well to be sure. at least i know the water is circulating now.

The truck has power window locks and those arent working either. It seems the amp gauge to battery is non op too.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello Group

I bought a 1983 c10 and its been sitting and neglected for some time. The heat temp gauge is pinned to the right. i examined the green wire from sensor as far back as i could behind the block and i dont see any melted or grounded areas. i can not see behind the block so??

Is there a fuse?

It seems like the main wiring harness comes back to the DS fender area of the firewall and enters behind the gauges??

If i peel the harness open i do see a nice green wire. Can i splice it there? Is there more than one green wire in the harness? Im just trying to confirm this is the correct wire to the temp switch on DS block.

I changed the thermostat out as well to be sure. at least i know the water is circulating now.

The truck has power window locks and those arent working either. It seems the amp gauge to battery is non op too.

I think @chengny could give you the answers you're looking for on all these questions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hello Group

Is there a fuse?

You're not Dave on Storage Wars are you? The guy who shows up in Yup Trucks?

Are you sure you're using the right Guage sender for the Temp light? Disconnect the wire at the sender and see if any difference is made.

As far as power windown and locks not working, I'd check the 25amp circuit breaker first, yes a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Next, I'd make sure the grounds on the driver side kick panel just up under the dash are all clean and well grounded. Not just the wires, but the junction ground block to the kick panel just up and inside behind the dash panel.

I'm thinking 83 is a Volt Meter not an Amp Gauge. Is it an Amp or Volt Gauge. That might be telling us it's been swapped out before and that could also be why the Temp Gauge does not work.

Lifted1

Reaction score
First Name
Yup
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're not Dave on Storage Wars are you? The guy who shows up in Yup Trucks?

Are you sure you're using the right Guage sender for the Temp light? Disconnect the wire at the sender and see if any difference is made.

i think so. Its a switch and the part number said it was for a guage, not a dummy light. It has a spade end on it though. i kept the original with nail head. I dont think the sender is the problem. I think its something else. The guage is always to the right. unless i plug it in upside down and then the gauge moves back to the other side. which makes me think the gauge is working?? im thinking of cutting a green wire within the harness where it exits in a large bundle of wires on left DS of firewall. waiting for confirmation.

As far as power windown and locks not working, I'd check the 25amp circuit breaker first, yes a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Next, I'd make sure the grounds on the driver side kick panel just up under the dash are all clean and well grounded. Not just the wires, but the junction ground block to the kick panel just up and inside behind the dash panel.
Will do these tonight. thank you

I'm thinking 83 is a Volt Meter not an Amp Gauge. Is it an Amp or Volt Gauge. That might be telling us it's been swapped out before and that could also be why the Temp Gauge does not work.
Its the stock gauge and i'm a *******. yes its the battery volt meter.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
My oem temp gage pegged several years ago.
I ordered a replacement through lmc trucks and the replacement has worked fine for several years.
I sometimes have an issue with the wire terminal falling off of the nail head on the sender but I just stick it back on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manther