Heads and cam swap time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I think he was a good guy until the PTB (powers that be) got a hold of him.
I'm sure you know that Ford originally devised a way to convert bio mass into fuel, and then discovered hemp was the most efficient plant on earth to pull this off. Then he went about designing engines... Then came autos with the intent to use hemp fiber for the body. But the government wasn't having any of American Self Sufficiency...

Sorry to derail. Poor OP just wanted advice changing heads and cam...
And that ****** and Ford were best buds....in many respects they were revolutionary but well both also had their demons.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I think he was a good guy until the PTB (powers that be) got a hold of him.
I'm sure you know that Ford originally devised a way to convert bio mass into fuel, and then discovered hemp was the most efficient plant on earth to pull this off. Then he went about designing engines... Then came autos with the intent to use hemp fiber for the body. But the government wasn't having any of American Self Sufficiency...

Sorry to derail. Poor OP just wanted advice changing heads and cam...

According to the Harley Davidson movie thing he also tried to crush them too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
According to the Harley Davidson movie thing he also tried to crush them too.
Yeah Henry Ford was not a very good guy regardless of what people think. I watched a documentary on the History channel about him and well he gave the order to shoot those people and in that day an age there wasn’t the moral constraints on business that are sort of practiced today. Dog eat dog kinda thing. And just thing you can buy a Harley edition truck lol

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
All my accessories worked when I swapped to Vortecs. The new intake however did not line up the bolt hole for the alternator bracket but I just left it out. You should be able to do it in 2 long days. A skilled helper helps tremendously.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ha! You will always run into something unexpected, but you can get most of the big stuff done in a long weekend. All bets are off with a serpentine swap, unless you have a local parts store with a Summit Racing type inventory.

Some things to think about:
  • Spark plug thread size and reach
  • coolant temp sensor thread size
  • rocker arms -- standard rockers with guide plates, or self-centering rockers?
  • push-rod length
  • Will raised valve cover rails on aftermarket heads cause valve covers to interfere with anything, such as AC compressor or alternator?
  • Will the new heads' exhaust ports work with your manifolds or headers? Lots of newer heads have raised exhaust ports. You don't want your headers/manifolds or gaskets to cover up even a tiny part of the top of the exhaust ports.
I have had all of the above challenges and more when changing heads from stock to aftermarket. And GM Vortecs cause even more problems.

Hope I didn't rain on your parade.:)

Last edited:

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ha! You will always run into something unexpected, but you can get most of the big stuff done in a long weekend. All bets are off with a serpentine swap, unless you have a local parts store with a Summit Racing type inventory.

Some things to think about:
  • Spark plug thread size and reach
  • coolant temp sensor thread size
  • rocker arms -- standard rockers with guide plates, or self-centering rockers?
  • push-rod length
  • Will raised valve cover rails on aftermarket heads cause valve covers to interfere with anything, such as AC compressor or alternator?
  • Will the new heads' exhaust ports work with your manifolds or headers? Lots of newer heads have raised exhaust ports. You don't want your headers/manifolds or gaskets to cover up even a tiny part of the top of the exhaust ports.
I have had all of the above problems and more when changing heads from stock to aftermarket. And GM Vortecs cause even more problems.

Hope I didn't rain on your parade.:)

Factory spark plugs - r44lts
CTS - Have read factory for the tbi fits
Rockers - Got factory rockers from Vortec heads
Push rods - Factory from Vortec engine
VC issue - truck has factory center bolt valve covers and I have them from Vortec engine. and Vortec serp. brackets.
Coil - vortec coil to have enough energy to make the jump of vortec head spark plugs.
Exhaust - Have read 87 + manifolds fit and infact the 87 manifold is desired for emission compliant swaps. I also have a set or shorties for 88-98, afterburners for 2nd gen camaro, full long tubes for 2nd gen camaro.

I collected parts since summer of 16 to get everything I think i need. ALso have already done the zif socket install on the ecm, have a starter vortec tune burned to a chip. FPR made adjustable, two tpi pumps installed, truck already has 2.5 true duals from unknown source.

Last edited:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yeah Henry Ford was not a very good guy regardless of what people think. I watched a documentary on the History channel about him and well he gave the order to shoot those people and in that day an age there wasn’t the moral constraints on business that are sort of practiced today. Dog eat dog kinda thing. And just thing you can buy a Harley edition truck lol

History channel.... dude. (not addressing mr Ford)

And which moral constraints practiced today were you referring too hmm? ttkasf here... but seriously.?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
History channel.... dude. (not addressing mr Ford)

And which moral constraints practiced today were you referring too hmm? ttkasf here... but seriously.?
Like murder

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Exhaust - Have read 87 + manifolds fit and infact the 87 manifold is desired for emission compliant swaps. I also have a set or shorties for 88-98, afterburners for 2nd gen camaro, full long tubes for 2nd gen camaro.

For the most part, it looks like you have your ducks in a row. Just make sure the manifold and gasket ports line up with the head ports. Below is an example of how my aftermarket 062 GMPP Vortec ports are raised relative to the manifold bolt holes. Even a pair of 1996-1999 L31 manifolds I used for a while had to be opened up approx .150" on the top, where exhaust flow is the greatest. However, I have seen earlier versions of the head with the same 062 casting number with no or very little offset.:confused: Go figure!

This gasket's cutout is close to the size and location of the ports my 96-99 L31 manifolds. Approx .150" of the exhaust port is covered. My manifolds are Dormans, so I don't know if actual GM pieces are the same.

You must be registered for see images

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
And so it starts, ripped it apart...no provisions for roller cam. Wasn't counting on that, picked up an erson 214/224 .443/465 112 and lifters for it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And so it starts, ripped it apart...no provisions for roller cam. Wasn't counting on that, picked up an erson 214/224 .443/465 112 and lifters for it.
Retro lifters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg