Heads and cam swap time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
How long does it take you guys to do the swap? I was hoping to do it over the 3 day weekend I have coming up.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's plenty of time unless you run into problems, but it's fairly straight forward. Just make sure to chase the head bolt threads in the block with a thread chase tap, and clean the bolt threads or buy new. And if any bolt holes are exposed to a water jacket, you need to seal them with copper coat or the like. Spread assembly lube on the cam surfaces, gear, and a dab on the push rod ends, rocker arm surfaces that see wear, adjust the valves, button it up, change the oil, top off the coolant, break-in the cam and you're off and running.

Oh yeah, make sure the heads are torqued to spec in three separate gradations to get them to spec, and in the correct sequence each time.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
A little trick I use to get my timing back without having to throw a light on it. After getting the timing mark on the dampner to the zero on the tab for #1 firing position, put three marks on the side of the rotor and dizzy that line up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart, and then one across the top of the rotor and then hold the pencil in-line with that line on top of the rotor until the lead hits the firewall and put a mark on the firewall. That way you can get everything back where it was before pulling the dizzy and get the timing close enough for the cam break-in. Fine tune the timing after the break-in.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
3 days is cake, you could really do it in one if you wanted to.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
As long as you have everything, it really doesn't make a difference, you just put the serp stuff back on instead of the v-belt.

The thing is, I never have everything lol.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
And if any bolt holes are exposed to a water jacket, you need to seal them with copper coat

In my experience Copper Coat leaks. Not a lot... but it does. CCoat is an anti seize as far as I know. It has some sealing properties, being that it has micro/nano copper that does fill gaps, but holding back scalding hot coolant under pressure for years it will let you down.
Use high temp thread sealant only, again as DoubleTroubleDingo said to be sure to clean threads and chase internal. I ran off looking for my tube, but I think I chucked it... too old half dead with a hole in the tube. I believe it was Permatex. It's a thick white sweet smelling stuff. (I like the smell of all auto chems... including gasoline!)

This is a common mistake sometimes even made by "pro" engine builders. There is an infamous HotRod mag engine build where they use RTV
on head gaskets...!

There are countless iron blocks out there that are weeping... it's a mess... Not the end of the day but why not the right stuff?

Speaking of the right stuff... use the Right Stuff! That black gold. Use it on oil pans, timing covers, valve covers and intake gaskets...
(important!!! ... use sparingly on intake gaskets and I only use on one side, the intake only and leave the head side clean and dry.)
The real deluxe place to use Right Stuff is between block and intake front and rear. I never use the rubber gasket, just Right Stuff.
Dry fit the intake with gaskets to determine how big the gap is and you may need to run a few beads of Right Stuff to build up enough to
contact the intake. And of course if you go hog wild and use too much... it will end up plugging your oil pump intake at the least.
I have a bad habit of not using enough, always at the back of the intake and my new motors end up leaking oil down the bell housing.
And then I swear to make a sailor blush...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.”
Henry Ford

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.”
Henry Ford

Sounds more like integrity to me.

As long as you have everything, it really doesn't make a difference, you just put the serp stuff back on instead of the v-belt.

The thing is, I never have everything lol.

It might take a couple trips but think i have everything, bolts, brackets, AC, compressor, Alt. Pullies, belt, W/P for the serp swap. The head swap is up in the air because the Vortecs were made to work with TBI so custom stuff has to be figured out.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Don’t forget kill people if they get in the way. Ford wasn’t afraid to do that look it up lol Hunger March
I think he was a good guy until the PTB (powers that be) got a hold of him.
I'm sure you know that Ford originally devised a way to convert bio mass into fuel, and then discovered hemp was the most efficient plant on earth to pull this off. Then he went about designing engines... Then came autos with the intent to use hemp fiber for the body. But the government wasn't having any of American Self Sufficiency...

Sorry to derail. Poor OP just wanted advice changing heads and cam...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54