headlight replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I have done some searching but the threads I saw were old and didnt answer my questions.

I have done sealed beam conversions with HID's before...

But has anyone used or know anyone that has used the projector lamps? Im just wondering about light output. Does it have a cutoff, like legal/factory HID's? Does it change the light output?

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
OR.....

Has anyone used or seen the LED replacements?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
OR.....

Has anyone used or seen the LED replacements?
I plan on putting individual relays on each headlight to feed it direct battery voltage instead of the factory run around wiring with to much voltage drop in the wiring.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Im not worried about the wiring. Im more worried about the output/spread. I do not like blinding other people. Ill aim the lights down low if I have to, but Id rather not.

I havent really see anyone use the sealed 4x6 LED replacements before.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Im not worried about the wiring. Im more worried about the output/spread. I do not like blinding other people. Ill aim the lights down low if I have to, but Id rather not.

I havent really see anyone use the sealed 4x6 LED replacements before.
This mod will brighten the lights due to getting proper voltage.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Unless you spend many hundreds of dollars, you'll be upset with HID, projector beam, or LED headlights. Your best bet is Hella replacements. They are available in 200 mm (one lamp per side) or 160 mm (2 lamps per side). They will work SIGNIFICANTLY better than old school sealed beams. The difference is in the reflector and lens. And if you want more power, you can install brighter H4 bulbs, as long as you use relays to handle the increased current.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/sealed-beam-conversion-headlamps/

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I went with lmc housing that used 9006 bulb and changed it to 9012. Overall happy with the light output. Much better than the old seal beams were. This is on the top row quad light set up.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I went with lmc housing that used 9006 bulb and changed it to 9012. Overall happy with the light output. Much better than the old seal beams were. This is on the top row quad light set up.

That's some good information. I see where both bulbs are 55 watts, but while the 9006 is rated at 1000 lumens @ 13.2 volts, the 9012 is 1875 lumens. So, that's 87.5% more light with the same current draw. Wow!

You can google "9006 9012 conversion" for info on how to modify the 9012 bulb tabs.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I just recently finished a set of projector retrofits for my truck.

Purchased my projectors off of www.theretrofitsource.com

Used a set of FXR 3.0's with 55w 6k D2S bulbs in a universal "diamond cut" 7 in. H4 conversion headlight.

It took a solid amount of work to make that giant projector fit. Had to move both battery trays back approx 2-2.5" to accommodate the projectors.

I haven't driven my truck since they were installed, but they look fantastic from the driveway.

Would definitely go with a smaller set of projectors if I was to do it again, such as the Mini H1 or the Mini D2S projectors.

I have done some searching but the threads I saw were old and didnt answer my questions.

I have done sealed beam conversions with HID's before...

But has anyone used or know anyone that has used the projector lamps? Im just wondering about light output. Does it have a cutoff, like legal/factory HID's? Does it change the light output?

Just as most reflector headlights, each projector design will vary in its characteristics of focus and how the cutoff appears.

Projectors are designed to maximize the use of the light output from a given bulb by having a reflector that is focused with a convex lens. The lens gives a very even output across the entire lit area as well as giving a much wider beam.

If you get a set of Bi-Xenon projectors, all this means is the cutoff shield can be actuated with a built in solenoid to allow for both low and high beam usage. With this setup, you only have a single bulb that never turns off between the lows and highs. Instead, the cutoff shield is either raised or lowered to allow the full use of the HID bulb or limits it to prevent them from blinding oncoming traffic.

Technically speaking, projector retrofits are not DOT approved. Even the LED kits are sold as "offroad-only" meaning that they are also not DOT approved. The chances of you being cited for having non-factory/non-DOT approved equipment is very low. Projectors are widely considered a massive improvement over reflector headlights and lightyears beyond the old style sealed beam headlights.

Light output is dramatically increased as well as beam pattern is greatly changed. Biggest thing that most people take a bit to get used to is the fact that there is virtually zero light output above the cutoff. Meaning that if you were driving in the middle of nowhere with only your lows on, you would see virtually nothing beyond the cutoff of the light. Some factory projectors include a "squirrel finder" this is for a small amount of light to be above the main cutoff to allow for a driver to be able to see any animals that may be beyond the projector cutoff.

Link to the post in my build thread that shows the retrofit headlights mounted on my truck: TBC's K10

Last edited:

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
9012's are what are in my 2014 Durango. They are halogen's in a projector and do put out a very good amount of light. They are bi-halogen lights and for not putting anymore volts into the lights, they are pretty good.

I will look into it. I guess I was still really wanting to to HID's, but I know I will still need to aim them very low.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I plan on putting individual relays on each headlight to feed it direct battery voltage instead of the factory run around wiring with to much voltage drop in the wiring.

I agree that voltage drop will make them dim, but where is this major volt drop happening on these vehicles? Is there a well known problem with a part?

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I just recently finished a set of projector retrofits for my truck.

Technically speaking, projector retrofits are not DOT approved. Even the LED kits are sold as "offroad-only" meaning that they are also not DOT approved. The chances of you being cited for having non-factory/non-DOT approved equipment is very low. Projectors are widely considered a massive improvement over reflector headlights and lightyears beyond the old style sealed beam headlights.

Ive never really cared about DOT approved. I wouldnt have ever done any of my mods if I did.:burnout:

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
That's some good information. I see where both bulbs are 55 watts, but while the 9006 is rated at 1000 lumens @ 13.2 volts, the 9012 is 1875 lumens. So, that's 87.5% more light with the same current draw. Wow!

You can google "9006 9012 conversion" for info on how to modify the 9012 bulb tabs.

I light this info. When replying about the my 2014 Durango having 9012's, I guess I over looked the lumens. ummmmm. I guess maybe then this is what I go with so I can keep a factory looks and maybe not go HID's.

Or do I just go HID's still? Decisions, decisions.

BTW I would go with 4k or 4.5k HID's. I dont like the blues and purples... yuk.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I agree that voltage drop will make them dim, but where is this major volt drop happening on these vehicles? Is there a well known problem with a part?
The biggest limitation on our trucks in the headlight switch. You've got full current running through it thus why it can get hot. Also why the rela6 mods work pretty well for our trucks.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
The biggest limitation on our trucks in the headlight switch. You've got full current running through it thus why it can get hot. Also why the rela6 mods work pretty well for our trucks.

I kinda wondered about that. I mean, I *assumed* that full voltage ran through the switch but wasnt sure.