Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
Hey folks,
I'm finally getting to some fun stuff. I'd like an honest opinion on what headers are the quickest to install on a bone stock 1978 C10 with power steering and no A/C. I'm looking for something under $200 (before shipping) and something somewhat easy to install, 'cause this fella has to do it in his driveway. Thanks in advance. All information and explanation is greatly appreciated. Happy trails.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would look into a little bit more expensive headers if your planning on having them for a long time. Get one with the ball flange style collector, otherwise you’ll fight with leaks, and I personally like to use high temp orange rtv on the head surface with a gasket

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Buy quality headers, you'll be glad you did...

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Like shortbed said , dont cheap out on headers , I perfer doug thorley tri y's , bolt them on and re torque once , done deal. really good routing as well.If you want to save a bit go with hedman elite , I tried those on my blazer to save a bit of cash , (my wheeler) and they have been great. You want to look for 14 gauge tube's and 3/8 flange thickness and they are around 400.00 . Cheap , thin headers are nothing but problems.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I ordered these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-69020. I'll let you know how they bolt up when I get them. they don't have a fancy coating, but I'll vht 2000 the hell out of them. they are coming today as a matter of fact. they have a 5/16" flange, 1-3/4" 16 gauge primaries and a 3" ball and socket collector.

they aren't nearly as nice as the ones above, but they are sure to be a hell of a lot better than the flow techs that are on the old engine. the flow techs have never leaked, however. I have a crazy ear for car noises too. I did cut the flange between exhaust ports to allow them to mate better to the block, I used a felpro gasket and copper sealant. being that my truck doesn't get driven often, I'd say they were more susceptible to rust out. I live in CA, but my area averages 48" of rain annually.

wherever you buy them, make sure they have a good return policy and try to fit them without dinging them up as they may not fit. if you see that they will fit other than hitting the frame slightly, don't worry about putting a couple dents in them to clearance the frame, it's proven not to change the horsepower one iota. search for the "Engine Masters" video on intentionally denting your headers.

good luck in your search

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Those are good quality..

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I bought Flowtech 1.5" primaries with 2.5" outlet to the 2.5" exhaust my 1977 C20.
They're made by Holley.

Drop in / zero trouble installation.

Dusty Trails

Reaction score
First Name
Devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Small Block V8
I really appreciate the feedback. I'm surprised at how many vendors sell the header sets without collectors. I'll be sure to save up some more and go with something thicker. @Frankenchevy, I am seriously looking forward to your opinion on these because I might copy your purchase depending on the ease of your install. Thanks very much folks. @The reaper, that high temp orange sure is easy on the eyes, best believe I have some high temp red ready. Ball flange style collector, got it. Much appreciated.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I really appreciate the feedback. I'm surprised at how many vendors sell the header sets without collectors. I'll be sure to save up some more and go with something thicker. @Frankenchevy, I am seriously looking forward to your opinion on these because I might copy your purchase depending on the ease of your install. Thanks very much folks. @The reaper, that high temp orange sure is easy on the eyes, best believe I have some high temp red ready. Ball flange style collector, got it. Much appreciated.
Definitely go with the ball socket collectors. Trouble and leak free connections.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I've never owned a pair of headers that look so different from one side to the other...

not really stoked on the quality for a "Made in America" product. I'll probably be sending these back for something nicer...

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
ill probably have to eat the shipping costs to send the headers back and wait another week... not to happy about that.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
this may sound like a dumb question for you experienced chevy guys, but what does 'tri 5' mean in regard to headers?

edit: I don't mean for this to be a thread jack, but I think the question will benefit the OP. should I just fix these up myself? or I was thinking maybe I just got a bad pair and I could send them back for a direct exchange swap, but I don't want to end up in the same boat, just a week later. these were the combo I wanted: 1.75" primaries, more than 1/4" flange, ball and socket and mid length. I looked at everything up to $600 on summit, but the only other headers I could find that ticked or exceeded those boxes were other hedmans or sub-four star headers. is this port irregularity to be expected. btw, I did see some Dougs I liked but none were ball and socket.

I'm also worried about gasket blow out. if you look at my picture, you will notice how narrow the mating surface gets towards the top of one of them.

thoughts?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robo