Header Install Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Another related question, when browsing headers on Summit it would show some alternator bracket as being a required modification for the headers? Any info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need that unless you are running a short water pump setup, but that's '68 and earlier stuff.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You don't need that unless you are running a short water pump setup, but that's '68 and earlier stuff.

Good deal cause I already ordered them. Now just gotta install them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryan85

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
WillSquared, I have a 85 K10 with a 305 and thinking about ordering headers. How did your install go? We're you able to use spacers on the ac bracket?

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My install went pretty easy. Cut the bracket and used the spacer from LMC. Worked like a charm. It does make getting to the plugs a bit more difficult but I expected that anyway.

Worst thing for me was the 1.5 hour drive back home with no exhaust!

You must be registered for see images attach

Ryan85

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, cool. Thanks for the info. I think I just found the spacer on LMC. Yours looks good!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Since I had to buy brackets for my 250 six to 350 V8 swap, I used this #402L pump bracket from Alan Grove Components. It's not even close to interfering with a header pipe, because it doesn't use any bolt holes in the head. BTW, they make first rate stuff. :cool: 10X better than some of the imported aluminum crap on eBay.

For details see the second to last bracket on this page: http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Small_Block_Long_Pump.htm

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I' gonna install some headman mid length headers on my truck. I'e read on here that some people were having starter overheating issues from the heat the headers were producing. My question is. Has anyone ever used the heat wrapping for headers to reduce the amount of heat they put off? I was thinking of trying it and wrapping them before I install them.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I' gonna install some headman mid length headers on my truck. I'e read on here that some people were having starter overheating issues from the heat the headers were producing. My question is. Has anyone ever used the heat wrapping for headers to reduce the amount of heat they put off? I was thinking of trying it and wrapping them before I install them.
Just a random question you just popped into my head.... if the headers do overheat the starter. How does the starter act when its over heated?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Heat wrap is a waste of $$ and time. Headers rust faster.

Get your headers 'heat coated inside AND out'.

You'll thank me for it. Worth every penny.

Starters and solenoids are electrical. Electrical don't like lots of heat. Electrical + Lots of Heat = FU.

Get a mini-starter and/or heat wrap the starter AND solenoid OR get the heat coating.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I'e never had it happen but, from what others on here have said it won' crank till it cools down. I don' know how long they wait till it cranks again. They make a starter wrap also but, some have said they put that on the starter and it still overheated.:33:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I'e never had it happen but, from what others on here have said it won' crank till it cools down. I don' know how long they wait till it cranks again. They make a starter wrap also but, some have said they put that on the starter and it still overheated.:33:
Im just curious as my starter randomly when you turn the key gives a single click. Even though i just started and drove it. And its COMPLETELY random. Could be many times a week or not at all for months.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Im just curious as my starter randomly when you turn the key gives a single click. Even though i just started and drove it. And its COMPLETELY random. Could be many times a week or not at all for months.

THAT sounds more like a solenoid issue.

You can take it off, take it apart, and either clean or rotate the BIG copper button 180 degrees.
Put it back together and be happy.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, the header wrap works very well. I ran some on a 55 Chevy car for 5+ years to keep heat off fuel and brake lines, with no ill effects on 16ga header tubes. Also, gear reduction and permanent magnet starters are smaller and won't be as close to header tubes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8